Moving hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
3 + 3 nucs
Planning on moving my 2 garden hives to an out apiary Easter weekend before they get too big as they tend to like to sting the husband when we are tending the veg patch - funnily enough leave me alone but understandably he is fed up and doesn't want the same this summer!

Both hives have plenty of activity with pollen going in etc. Do I need to inspect before moving? Also as it's a 15 minute drive do I still need to obtain a travel screen if planning to move them at dawn as it's not that warm yet in south Lincs?

Otherwise plan to ratchet strap them up and move them in OH's van unless any other advice?

What kind of floor are they on? If a screen then they should be fine and if a solid one then some sort of top ventilation is needed as there is a surge of heat when the bees realise they are captive and panic.

PH

Hi Charlie,
you will be fine with the mesh floor, just block them in, strap and shift nice and gently. When you get them to the out apiary put them in place and give them ten minutes to settle down before opening the entrance. This will stop them rushing out on mass and getting disorientated.
Good luck

I did a 1.5 hr journey last last year with the bees i have now, the entrance block was sealed with mesh and i had a open mesh floor, the crown board and roof was on which was covered to stop the sun warming anything up as it was a scorcher of a day.
The windows on the car where open all the way and to my knowledge i had minimal loss.

Thank you, Think it will still be a worrying journey for the first time moving hives, just have to make sure all strapped up securely in the back of the van so get no tip overs

At this time of year as long as you have not been ripping them open propolis will provide an additional bond. I duct tape around seals just as an added precaution. With all the weight in the hives you would need to drive pretty erratically to tip it over. You will be fine.

At this time of year as long as you have not been ripping them open propolis will provide an additional bond. I duct tape around seals just as an added precaution. With all the weight in the hives you would need to drive pretty erratically to tip it over. You will be fine.

Also another added benefit imo with moving this time of the year a hive that has not been opened will be everything will be stuck sold in the brood box with wax and propolis, so there's little chance of the frames swinging about and squashing bees potentially the queen.

Thank you, Think it will still be a worrying journey for the first time moving hives, just have to make sure all strapped up securely in the back of the van so get no tip overs

Try to remember to carry the hives so the frames are running front to back in the vehicle, it makes them less likely to move when cornering.

Try to remember to carry the hives so the frames are running front to back in the vehicle, it makes them less likely to move when cornering.

Breaking would be my concern as you can slow down for corners but if someone pulls out on you if often means slamming the anchors on.

Latest posts

Back