moving hives short distances in winter

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grif

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
During this coming winter I want to move one of my hives a distance of about 50 yards / metres. I know of the 3 mile rule, but not sure that this applies in winter when they're clustered?

If the bees are flying they will return to where they came out of the day before and fly around until they die. Or if by chance find their way back to the hive.

http://mistressbeek.com/2010/06/08/need-to-move-your-bee-hive-heres-the-lazy-way/

"No problem. If instead of sweet success, you find hundreds of foragers back at the old spot and STILL there the next evening, just put a hive body with frames at the old location. "

Although in this sort of weather any bees lost will die.

If the old spot is next to neighbour's property they may experience some confused bees looking for their home. Which might not end well.

Wait for a really cold snap when bees are clustered and not flying - ideally move them after a week or so of the cold weather and hope it lasts a bit longer - bees will naturally reorientate after this period of inactivity so you should not get more than a handful returning to the old site if any

This worked for me when I had to move my hive a short distance -

http://www.honeybeesuite.com/how-to-move-a-hive/

In short placing sticks/foliage in front of the entrance after the hive's been moved forces the bees to reorient when they leave the hive so they then won't have a problem finding it on their return.

Wait for a really cold snap when bees are clustered and not flying - ideally move them after a week or so of the cold weather and hope it lasts a bit longer - bees will naturally reorientate after this period of inactivity so you should not get more than a handful returning to the old site if any

:yeahthat:

of course, laying a few magic twigs across the entrance will do no harm if it makes you feel better :D

I'm reporting my own experience. Perhaps you'd like to offer a constructive response as to why, in your wisdom, you disagree with doing that?

I'm reporting my own experience. Perhaps you'd like to offer a constructive response as to why, in your wisdom, you disagree with doing that?

I'm not disagreeing - but to wholly depend on putting a few twigs across the entrance IMHO is unwise and definitely not to be recommended to a beginner. If it was the answer to everything why has the three mile three feet rule held fast for all these years? I have witnessed this 'method' fail completely.

I did just that when I moved four boxes about 100feet.
No problem whatsoever.

Just moved 4 hives while they were still 'flying'. Moved three 1.7 miles and one 0.7 miles from their original location. Just shut the entrances 6-00pm the night before the move when they were all 'home' and opened them all as soon as they were in the new situation (noon next day). Put a box out in case they came home and two of us monitored the old site out of interest. Did not see one bee return to the original site. You can read into that what you will I suppose. :)

Just moved 4 hives while they were still 'flying'. Moved three 1.7 miles and one 0.7 miles from their original location. Just shut the entrances 6-00pm the night before the move when they were all 'home' and opened them all as soon as they were in the new situation (noon next day). Put a box out in case they came home and two of us monitored the old site out of interest. Did not see one bee return to the original site. You can read into that what you will I suppose. :)

cold weather -bees not foraging but flying a short distance to dump their guts then returning thus not much chance of them encountering an area they foraged recently and remembered from the original location

cold weather -bees not foraging but flying a short distance to dump their guts then returning thus not much chance of them encountering an area they foraged recently and remembered from the original location

Yep, fair point. They were bringing in pollen from ivy the day I stopped up the entrance to prep them for the move. Ivy very close to hives though so possibility it may have a baring on the forage radius? Mind you it's pi**ed down since the day after the move and the girls are taking water from just outside the hives. Not bothering to venture further. (Can't say I blame them):eek::)

Latest posts

Back