Moving hives a short distance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've rearranged my main apiary this morning moving 4 hives 50m, 6 nucs 5m and another 2 nucs 1/2mile from another apiary.
I blocked the entrances and moved them, I've not bothered to open them up yet as they won't be flying. I'll pop in tomorrow to open them up.

I think what you mean is "I've found the branch trick isn't 100% perfect"

But I think it helps.
Nope!? I meant what I said, and I said what I meant!
My bee's must have a good memory then. Bloody hill Billy bees :).

I have a hive that I need to move 10 yards down the garden by the spring. Have started moving it about 3' a week but as the bees aren't coming out because of the weather, how do they benefit from the small steps? At this time of year is it best to just move them all the way with a branch in front; I don't want lots of sad cold bees clustering on the old site!

Thank you all for your comments, really helpful and given me confidence; I will get on with it today!

Thank you all for your comments, really helpful and given me confidence; I will get on with it today!
Good luck.. Let us know how you get on.
They won't even murmer in this weather.

I need to move a hive by car. But will need to use a wheelbarrow to get the hive down a bumpy track to the car. If the bees are tightly clustered isn’t there a risk that the bumps will break the cluster? If the bees then get cold, surely that will limit their ability to reform the cluster?

I need to move a hive by car. But will need to use a wheelbarrow to get the hive down a bumpy track to the car. If the bees are tightly clustered isn’t there a risk that the bumps will break the cluster? If the bees then get cold, surely that will limit their ability to reform the cluster?

I think that if you subject them to that much bumping around then the hive is likely to perish as a result, perhaps not immediately but before spring. If you could find a way of manually carrying the hive down the track, thus dampening the bumps, that would be a very good thing. Could someone be roped in to take one side of the hive?

Alternatively, if at all possible, I would wait until warmer weather, at which point they can take a good deal of bumping around.

I think that if you subject them to that much bumping around then the hive is likely to perish as a result, perhaps not immediately but before spring.
Interesting; if not immediately then why at all? What would be the mechanism?
BIAB

Interesting; if not immediately then why at all? What would be the mechanism?
BIAB

The death of a significant number of the bees in the hive at the point of the "bumping" (due to the current very low temps and the complete breaking of cluster), thus making it less likely that the hive will have the numbers to survive to spring.

The death of a significant number of the bees in the hive at the point of the "bumping" (due to the current very low temps and the complete breaking of cluster), thus making it less likely that the hive will have the numbers to survive to spring.
Ah, makes sense. Like they went into winter weak.

Carry them in a sling. A loop of rope underneath and coming up the sides with a broom handle tucked into each side.
One person in front one at back with pole in each hand.
Works a treat. It’s how Stan and I move hives across our bumpy field

Hive carierwhat about using one of these.. Or two peaces of 4x2 sort of making a makeshift hive carrier.

I've moved some hives just recently but we did it with one of the above.

Carry them in a sling. A loop of rope underneath and coming up the sides with a broom handle tucked into each side.
One person in front one at back with pole in each hand.
Works a treat. It’s how Stan and I move hives across our bumpy field
Perfect idea we have made something similar :)

As usual, some good advice and some real carp. First thing about the car is: How far are you moving them?

Warm them up in the car. Leave them to settle down, cool down and cluster at the destination, in the car, or anywhere you choose. Simple, really.

The “branch trick” works if done properly and at the right time in the right circumstances. You need to think about it and some clearly don’t.

The earlier part mentioned 3 miles. The reason for that is if they usually forage within about a mile, so moving them more than twice that distance usually avoids bees foraging at a previous site and taking the ‘wrong’ route back to the hive (and finishing up on the old site). As always, there are exceptions to the rule.

One can, of course, move a hive less than three feet and lose all the foragers. But only if the job is not thought about beforehand, by those who doesn’t think of the outcome of their actions.

Thanks for the replies. As I don’t need to move them immediately, I will wait until the weather warms so that I don’t disturb the cluster.

As usual, some good advice and some real carp. First thing about the car is: How far are you moving them?

Warm them up in the car. Leave them to settle down, cool down and cluster at the destination, in the car, or anywhere you choose. Simple, really.

The “branch trick” works if done properly and at the right time in the right circumstances. You need to think about it and some clearly don’t.

The earlier part mentioned 3 miles. The reason for that is if they usually forage within about a mile, so moving them more than twice that distance usually avoids bees foraging at a previous site and taking the ‘wrong’ route back to the hive (and finishing up on the old site). As always, there are exceptions to the rule.

One can, of course, move a hive less than three feet and lose all the foragers. But only if the job is not thought about beforehand, by those who doesn’t think of the outcome of their actions.
Thanks for your suggestions. I am moving them over 3 miles. Access is poor and I have found carrying equipment to and from the current site difficult. It was an emergency temporary move from the garden after the bees stung the dog. The new site has level access and I can park the car close. There is no time pressure to move other than I want them on the new site before the spring flowers emerge.

Attachments

• 8265DF6B-9EDF-485B-AFA7-64AD2BECD508.jpeg
    8265DF6B-9EDF-485B-AFA7-64AD2BECD508.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 26

Latest posts

Back