Moving hive a long distance

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianmc

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Moving hives a short distance while it is cold and the bees aren't flying is a nice simple plan.

Is moving a hive a long distance (an hour by car) likely to be too disruptive to the winter cluster?

Thanks!

I guess it will be OK but suggest you leave the hive closed for an hour or so after arrival - to avoid the bees pouring out and getting cold/confused/lost.

We moved a nuc last year in early April, a journey of about two and a half hours, no problems at all. There was a funny smell like cheese/feet coming from the hive and the bees were making a lot of scratching sounds, but as we arrived in the dark I just put the hive on the stand and opened it up after about an hour. Next morning they were fine when we checked. Transferred them into a 14x12 later that day and after that they built up so fast that the hive was bursting by early May.

I collected a nuc last week - about an hour's drive from home. Collected it at 5pm. As soon as I got it home, I put it in position and opened the entrance disc to queen excluder slots. A few days later, when the weather had warmed up, I moved the disc round so that half the entrance is open. Bees have been flying out and back in - no problems at all.

brian,
no, it's a good time to do it. Put the hive in the car/van so the frames are aligned 'fore and aft' so they don't sway when you go round corners. Assuming you're on an open mesh floor, leave the entrance sealed overnight...

Do people cage their queens before moving long distances to protect then against inadvertant crushing should there be any movement of the frames in transit. Or is she best left free to take her chances with the rest?

It depends how long bees have been inside and have they done enough poo. If not, then it is ganger that they make feces inside.
Of course cluster will be expanced but it returns.

I will be good if bees can fly cleansing flight after transport. They are quite nervous after that. It depends much what is mental character of bees. Some are like nothing and some are ready to kill all which moves.

Do people cage their queens before moving long distances to protect then against inadvertant crushing should there be any movement of the frames in transit. Or is she best left free to take her chances with the rest?

Good question.

If hives are poly, frames move easily in the hive and it is a big danger that queen will be crushed.
I have lost many queens like that and bees will crushed, bees become mad when sting poison starts to stink there.
You must lock frames firmly that they cannot move in the hive.

Thanks everyone.

Opinions and advice much appreciated.

Ensure that the frames in your hive are aligned with the direction of travel - that way they will be less likely to "swing" and crush bees whilst in transit. At theis time fo the year the frames should be soundly glued together with propolis also so that is a further safeguard.

brian, if you're on Hoffman frames there's zero risk - anyway, knowing UK roads you're not going to be doing any rally cornering!

Latest posts

Back