Moving from Apidea (mini nuc) to Main Hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Then the next question is why did they kill the new Queen. :confused:

(They were introduced within 30 mins of being removed from mother hive)

That's difficult to answer from the information you've provided. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the frame you transferred to the nuc wasn't just nurse bees. I suspect there were foragers among them. These older foragers are closely attached to their old queen and can be very hostile to any queen you try to introduce. My guess is that they killed her. It may also be that the frame you transferred contained eggs/larvae. Faced with a choice, bees will usually favour larvae that are closely related to them over an alien queen. That is why it's important not to have any eggs/larvae in a nuc when you're introducing a queen.

My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the frame you transferred to the nuc wasn't just nurse bees. I suspect there were foragers among them. These older foragers are closely attached to their old queen and can be very hostile to any queen you try to introduce. My guess is that they killed her.

That's a fair assessment B+ and I tend to agree. Thanks for taking the time to answer. We live and we learn.

Latest posts

Back