Moving bees water source?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justme

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
Number of Hives
10(OSB hives)1 National
Hi,
Colony at home has made an old ali canteen pan their water source. It has the usual bits in it, dead leaves, mud etc, and surprisingly it has not yet dried up despite (dare I say it) also most no rain for about 3 weeks.
It is right next to our bench that it is sometimes nice to sit on, when i have the time, with the flight path down over said seat.

Is it safe to assume that as long as I move it a tiny bit at a time they'll still be able to find it? Not looking to move it more than about 3 1/2 ' in total, 18" up and 2' back/across. Or should I just try it and report back?

Thanks, Justme:.)

I suggest that you do the latter because sods law always applies?

I once kept bees on an allotment. Despite me offering all manner of water feeding devices, the bees congregated on just one of 7 taps to get their water - they ignored the container underneath it and fed off the dripping tap. This was despite all the taps dripped in varying degrees.

Nothing I did persuaded them to go anywhere else - including fixing the drip? People regularly used the tap to fill their cans and to my knowledge nobody got stung? This was despite the fact one of the hives were feisty to say the least.

Regards

FB

I would just move it to where you want it. They will find water somewhere. Sitting in the garden and enjoying it shouldn't be compromised!!!! I always find it useful to check drain covers this time of the year to ensure they are not drinking dirty water! Luckily we have a spring from the hillside which they seem to enjoy.

Thanks, Fredbloggs, Enrico N The DD:.) See you on Sunday DD? Weather permitting I suppose.

Latest posts

Back