Moving a hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WingCommander

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
So a few questions.

Firstly the colony I 'rescued' from the compost bin last year is now in a Poly in my garden. There is a fair bit of activity so there are still some bees alive several months later - are these likely to be the same bees (winter) and not a sign of a healthy colony or does the fact they are still going mean I have a reasonable chance of them living through the winter?

Secondly the unluckiest bee colony ever was subject to a collapsed fence yesterday - bought down by old fence-posts and an untrimmed climber from my neighbours garden. Luckily it stopped when it got to the hive but it means I have had to move it in the garden. The only other sheltered place is about 15 metres away. There is very little room for the bees to get in and out as I had adjusted the door to c. a bee space but today, being lovely, the bees are out and about. There are a lot flying near the old location for the hive - will they find there way back, given they must have left from the new location or should I move the hive a little closer, albeit exposed, and then gradually move, over the next week to the spot. Ideally advice today so I can save any that may not make it back...

Thanks all!!

can you move it in line with the flight path of where it was? or at least as near as possible to where it was.

Last edited:
Not really. The hive came into the garden in November so there hasn't been much activity. I was hoping this would mean a move wouldn't affect them much but it seems to have. It's not a large garden and they have gone from one corner to another.

Also if I move it back to where it was will that not confuse the bees that are out and about today? Aaagh.

Also if I move it back to where it was will that not confuse the bees that are out and about today? Aaagh.

Sounds as if you might have to compromise and move the hive as close to where it was as possible, or betwen the 2. Then tonight move it to where you want it to be and stuff some grass in the entrance or stand a flower pot ot something in front of it so they notice things have changed next time they come out.

So a few questions.

Firstly the colony I 'rescued' from the compost bin last year is now in a Poly in my garden. There is a fair bit of activity so there are still some bees alive several months later - are these likely to be the same bees (winter) and not a sign of a healthy colony or does the fact they are still going mean I have a reasonable chance of them living through the winter?

Secondly the unluckiest bee colony ever was subject to a collapsed fence yesterday - bought down by old fence-posts and an untrimmed climber from my neighbours garden. Luckily it stopped when it got to the hive but it means I have had to move it in the garden. The only other sheltered place is about 15 metres away. There is very little room for the bees to get in and out as I had adjusted the door to c. a bee space but today, being lovely, the bees are out and about. There are a lot flying near the old location for the hive - will they find there way back, given they must have left from the new location or should I move the hive a little closer, albeit exposed, and then gradually move, over the next week to the spot. Ideally advice today so I can save any that may not make it back...

Thanks all!!

When I moved mine I shut them in completely for four days then put a branch in front to reset their satnavs and propped a board to shade from the sun. Seems to have worked just fine.

There are a lot flying near the old location for the hive - will they find there way back, given they must have left from the new location or should I move the hive a little closer, albeit exposed, and then gradually move,

We haven't had a Winter as such so you have to keep to the 3 ft / 3 mile rule. The flying bees you observed gave up looking for their home after 3ft and probably landed for a breather - then succumbed to heat loss.

They will inevitably come back to the visual location where they learnt the hive entrance was during their orientation flight.
If I were you, I'd now move the hive back to (or within 3ft of) where it was.

Flying Officer

I've read that 2 miles can be enough? Anyone have any thoughts on that as I've just asked a local farmer for space for an out apiary (they offered last year when I asked to be warned of crop spraying).
Thanks

If there are significant bees milling around the old location they may perish in the cold. I would evaluate numbers at each location and be prepared to place a collecting box at the one with the lesser number, then attempt a merge, perhaps involving a 3 mile move. Unlikely that the strays will survive unless they have established somewhere. They may have found their new home anyway. Confused bees I would imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"There is a fair bit of activity so there are still some bees alive several months later - are these likely to be the same bees (winter) and not a sign of a healthy colony or does the fact they are still going mean I have a reasonable chance of them living through the winter?"

what do you mean?

The general rule is that as colony brood rearing decreases the overall longevity of the bees increases. Thus bees that emerge in early autumn will survive until early spring. That is how colonies survive the winter. A healthy colony at the end of january, assuming a proper winter, is almost entirely made up of old bees. think about finman - his colonies went to bed months ago and yet'll be fine come spring in a few months time.

Presumably you know that the colony had a queen and the colony had brood prior to shutting up for the winter? if so then the colony now, assuming collected after august, will have mixture of original bees and new bees.

If one assumes that there was a prolonged brooding period in the autumn then most of the bees may well be new.

Last edited:
I've read that 2 miles can be enough?

lebouche, it depends on what forage is generally available in your area. If they don't need to go further than a mile to find nectar/pollen then moving 2 miles is enough.
In London Suburbs very few bees return even after moving only 1 mile

Jenkins
nb a round compost bin!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back