MOVING A HIVE ACROSS WATER

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rampino

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I would like to move a full nuc to a hive in a local garden. I’ve measured the distance on a clever app Magic Maps (available on Magic.defra.gov.uk) and find that the distance is just short of a mile. Normally this would not be enough by the rule of thumb, but there is the Thames in the way, which at this point is around 700ft (210m) wide. Will this make a difference in my favour? What does the panel think?

No difference, they will fly over Motorways and vast areas of trading estate devoid of greenery to find flowers.

I would like to move a full nuc to a hive in a local garden. I’ve measured the distance on a clever app Magic Maps (available on Magic.defra.gov.uk) and find that the distance is just short of a mile. Normally this would not be enough by the rule of thumb, but there is the Thames in the way, which at this point is around 700ft (210m) wide. Will this make a difference in my favour? What does the panel think?
It's a bit close for safety but it depends on a few factors .. try it but leave a box behind in the original location for any homesick bees to return to .. then just tip them back into the hive at the new location - they will get the message eventually.

Latest posts

Back