Moving a hive 70 metres...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jezd .. how did the move go ? did you do the grass at the entrance thing?
may have to do the same soon.

Not done as yet, I had to delay my weekly inspections due to dire weather here, the inpection went well today, no QC's and the brood is looking good even though I never saw the queen.

Time to consider the move although my supplier made some good points for waiting to see what happens, the fact is they where happy before tranporting and I know their is good queen in there - nice and strong layer. He suggested I wait for new bees to replace the old, the old bees are likley to be more than a little miffed at the change in forage I forced on them :)

jez

Jezd .. how did the move go ? did you do the grass at the entrance thing?
may have to do the same soon.

Did you have plans to try the same?

Jez

Well its done, angry bees move 60m approx, did it around 10pm tonight, got them strapped up and relocated also facing a different direction, placed a few branches in front of the hive too, a small bang on top to make them things their home collapsed - x fingers the are happy in the morning.

Sounds a bit like an artificial swarm,without the Queen.

Last edited:
Sounds a bit like an artificial swarm,without the Queen.

they have a queen, they seems to be doing really well other than angry, one of 3 strong and peaved hives, time will tell.

Hive settles in now, about a 100-200 bees returned to the old location but eventually joined other hives than in turn terminated them :)

Success with the move, it can be down.

Jez

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back