Moving 120+ miles

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldmatty

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Not been on here for a while and although Ive searched the forum I cant find anything on moving hives.

Ive got a van with no bulkhead and have made a cart type thing to hold the brood box with handles for two people, theres a six inch gap between the bottom of the broodbox (mesh floor)and the ground, for ventilation. Im going to block the entrance with foam and then run gaffer tape around. I plan on changing the vents in the crown board and strapping the hive together then moving on Thursday night just as it starts to get dark at around 7.30. Plan on keeping my window open for airflow, will this be OK? So basically brood box with crown board

How long do you expect the journey to last? I think your plan sounds fine, if you wanted more reassurance you could have a travel screen. Temperatures aren't too bad for night moves to be honest.

120+ miles OMF at night now is fine. i routinely shift bees this far (135 odd).

DOI: 1075 miles done using travel screens in summer temps.

Last edited:
I just found three pages while searching.

Maybe you didn't search hard enough. Try searching for "moving bees beekeeping forum"

It'll be OK. I would be wearing my bee suit, or having it very handy and I would be securing the hive in position. I would recommend three straps at least to avoid any chance of the boxes twisting round. Should be trouble-free but better secured for the worst case scenario.

Strong recommendation to tape around all joints: box/floor, box/box, box/cb -- and make sure that the hive can't shift even an inch, rock or topple, when you brake/accelerate/corner.
They shouldn't cook even with the window closed (but wear a jacket rather than use the heater!)

Since you will arriving in the dark, try and make sure that all the prep has been done ahead of time and all the things to trip over have been removed ... :)

// PS - Prepare, tape and strap the hive well before you leave (in daylight!) That way, you only have to close the entrance and load the hive before leaving.

Last edited:
In case of misunderstanding, are you doing the journey at night for the bees' sake or for other reasons? Others here may have a view on day-time trips now the heat is gone. In which case the hives can be closed before daybreak and hopefully leave no stranded flyers at all.

Hi oldmatty,have done this myself,helps if you have some anchor points in the van to stop it sliding about.But the best advice i could give is wear your bee clobber for the journey,just in case of a really nasty accident,yes i know a person who,s hive opened up on his travels and had to sit by the side of the road for 4 or 5 hours for the bees to come back to the hive.It wasn't a total disaster but could have been a whole lot worse.

In case of misunderstanding, are you doing the journey at night for the bees' sake or for other reasons? Others here may have a view on day-time trips now the heat is gone. In which case the hives can be closed before daybreak and hopefully leave no stranded flyers at all.

Both for the bees sake and mine, rather than doing a dawny and possibly waking some nearby occupants up its easier and less traffic

Hi oldmatty,have done this myself,helps if you have some anchor points in the van to stop it sliding about.But the best advice i could give is wear your bee clobber for the journey,just in case of a really nasty accident,yes i know a person who,s hive opened up on his travels and had to sit by the side of the road for 4 or 5 hours for the bees to come back to the hive.It wasn't a total disaster but could have been a whole lot worse.

Im also carrying some wood and the cart thing Ive made will be jammed in tight with enough ventilation, Ive a very thin smock which I was going to wear but will now.

Positioning the hives in the van so that the frames are pointing forwards is a good idea too.

"I would be wearing my bee suit"

no need if hive well wrapped in net curtain or cheapo mozzie net - that's what i use always.

Positioning the hives in the van so that the frames are pointing forwards is a good idea too.

Shouldn't be needed with hoffman frames and a bit of prop! :)
Top-spacers full of honey a different story...

Good idea to have your suit right at hand (in reach, in view) - not really needed to wear it though.

we happened to have a half size pallet which we put in the van to strap the hive to.

before the strap and after gaffer taping the joints, we wrapped net curtain material around.

This approach has worked for two trips from Reading to Cambridge.

Top bee space easily dealt with :)
Simply place one bees paced sized square timber across each set of frame lugs strap crown board Down , this should stop the frames from moving!
Use unframed crown boards of course :)
VM

My cousin when he moved bee's screwed strips of wood top to bottom on opposing corners of the hive then strapped them down. They didn't move.

Thanks for all the good advise. Got there gone seven, there was still some sryup in top feeder which i managed to drip on crown board so had to hang around for a while to refit vent. Journey took half hour less than anticipated. Hive in place alls good :thanks:

Back