Move to 14x12

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunnyRaes

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5 planned, in reality 7 + 1 nuc + 1 A/S into a commercial for a friend
We were planning on trialling 14x12 this year, and the most logical way of doing it seemed to be effectively using a Bailey comb change, so putting the new 14x12 + new foundation on top of the existing National brood box.

The move to trial 14x12 was partly a response to the rather prolific and swarmy hives we had last year (2 hives to 6 + 2 nucs (and no spare equipment!) in a 4 week period) More room might mean less inclination to swarm! haha... yes.. we'll see... It's worth a shot. We requeened 2 hives last year with Buckfast queens which will hopefully have helped, leaving 3 hives of original stock.

The start of the season has obviously been a bit rubbish, and last weekend was our first opportunity to inspect. Of the 5 hives, 2 original stock hives are over 8-10 (6 brood) frames, so we added supers last week. The other 3 were in good enough shape (bees over no less than 6 frames).

The 2 strongest hives seem ideal candidates for moving onto 14x12, however my worry is that it might be too late in the season? The literature around bailey comb changes seems to suggest this should be done a lot earlier than now, with less brood around. However we obviously hadn't been able to get into the hives to check before now.

So are we too late? Would we just be courting disaster with so much brood and new bees come removal of the old brood box, Or can we just chuck a 14x12 on top, manage as a comb change and they'll all live happily ever after*?

Oh, and if we did do it, as there is no manipulation of the brood box involved at this stage (simply removing the roof, crown board, super and QE, putting the new box on top, and then replacing what we'd removed) would we be OK to do it now, given the weather is a bit cooler again?

Have a search for Bailey Comb Change, and see all the posts giving dire warnings that it is still too EARLY ... !!!

I found it easiest to slip an eke under the National brood, and gradually "work out" the standard Deep frames.

Handling frames with wild comb beneath isn't too difficult - and actually good frame-handling practice!

I'm in the same situation (ie i have the suspicion that standard national brood boxes are too small, and this leads to swarminess) and had been planning in either a Bailey change or a shook swarm. But the bees are doing so well on the OSR now that I was thinking of waiting until they start getting that swarming feeling, and then AS-ing into the 14 by 12 box. My only uncertainty is whether this might be too much for them to handle, and they'll swarm off anyway.

Yep Beekake, those were exactly my thoughts too! Would swarming into a 14x12 be too much??

(ie i have the suspicion that standard national brood boxes are too small, and this leads to swarminess)

No it won't. One is the bees at fault, the other is the beekeeper. A subtle difference.

Beekake - I'm planning to do the same albeit a little later than you folks in the sunny east!
Put the brood and a halfs on to OSR, let 'em get going well then either wait for QC's to appear or just when there's a good flow coming in and they are strong and do an AS. I'm hoping for an improvement in the weather (an eternal optimist) so they can draw out the foundation without having to feed them. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back