Mouse Guards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddiespangle

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
View attachment 7702
4yhureva.jpg

Opened the lid of an old Nuc Box to find 12 sets of beady eyes staring back at me!

Hi Eddiespangle,
That must have been a shock. Wood mice, they are cute. Apparently, the bees don't like the smell of mice, so make sure you clean it out properly.

House mice are apparently noticeable by their absence.
Read an article to that effect a couple of days ago !
I've never had a mouse of any variety in either house or honey house .
Seen a mouse nest in a pile of badly stacked supers at club out apiary !!
VM

Not seen any in / around the hives but caught about a dozen in traps in the outside shed I use to store my spare boxes / supers!
Luckily I have never yet had any damage as I store the boxes on old QX's (finally found a use for the T's ones that were too small a spacing!).

Found four nests on 1st doing oxalic, one nuc dead, the rest was in roofs, or spare kit. Will need to be a bit more careful next year wrt mouse guards on spare kit.

great photos. I would have thought they would of had some sort of nesting material in there , or did you remove it.

Set a trap in my beehouse last week had two in the same trap the first night and two again the second. Down to one a night now. Peanut butter the best bait

Did you leave the box on the ground

Yes, peanut is the best bait. I've had two attacks to my flour store under the stairs, hole now sealed, but why did nature create an animal that s**ts where it eats!!!!
:offtopic:

Latest posts

Back