mouse gaurd

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stumorph

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
When should I put my mouse gaurds in place I have the full length type do I remove the entrance block or just cover the over it.

I would say wait until the wasps have died off first. If you put mouse guards on now the bees will have the full entrance to guard so for me, it's mid October time. Entrance block out and mouse guard on.
However what I did last year was to drill holes along the length of the entrance block on one side (90 degrees to the entrance) and just rotate the block so on one edge I have a reducer and on the other edge I have a mouse guard.
Andy

I leave the entrance block in! You can get different types of mouse guard, some with holes over the whole length and some just with a central section, whatever you only need an inch or two for the bees to get in and out over winter and that space to have mouse guard holes covering it. Some rely only on a reduced entrance in width and height but that is a bit risky. If you ever have mice once you won't want them again! Yuc!
I put it on when the weather gets cold enough for the bees to stop flying and when they are obviously not stood at the entrance looking for intruders.
E

I keep the entrance block in and cut all my mouse guards into three, each piece being big enough for the reduced entrance and I put them on in October when the ivy is finishing.

Mine are all on now the supers are of and I never use reducers anyway.

Chris

Last week our RBI said that if one uses the standard entrance block (on a standard hive, of course), there is no need for a mouse guard.

I am too inexperienced to know.

Dusty

Been wondering about this too..plan was to take out entrance block and fit mouse guard, standard crownboard with holes covered and a shallow eke with some insulation under the roof (floor is OMF with tray out, single brood box). Not sure wether it might be better to just leave the entrance block in and do away with the mouseguard..?

Last week our RBI said that if one uses the standard entrance block (on a standard hive, of course), there is no need for a mouse guard.

Dusty

Dusty, even I am experienced to know that there is no such thing as a "standard entrance block". Different manufacturers give different openings.
Poor communication from the RBI in that case, I fear.

Dusty

"Standard" entrance block will allow plenty of room for mice to gain entry. Not worth the risk IMHO. Mice can make an awful mess. Belt and braces is better. mouse guards are not exactly difficult or time consuming to fit. Why wouldn't you?
Cazza

I have both solid and OMF floors but either way my entrances are either fully open from side to side or with guards in and the hives with OMF have the OMF clear all year.

The guards go on as I take the supers of, saves me forgetting to do it and does no harm. This time of year I start to think grapes, (wine), and walnut, (oil), and will soon more or less forget I have bees until February.

Chris

I had mice in two of my hives last year and won't be making that mistake again. I tried to fit my mouse guards yesterday. Since it was raining I figured the bees would be indoors but was surprised to see a major flow on and the little sods were evil with it. Needless to say I legged it with my tail between my legs:owned: Definitely a job for another day :D

Latest posts

Back