Mouldy pollen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJBee

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Commercial
Number of Hives
16 a mix of Commercial, National, 14 x 12, Dadant and a Warre
An outside frame in one of my colonies has a little sealed stores on one side and perhaps 100 cells of pollen on the other. the pollen is covered in white mould.

The frame is otherwise in good nick - will the bees sort it out when they need it or should I replace with foundation?

I'm of the opinion that if the colony is strong they will clean it up no problem.

Hi Hombre
I am sorry mate but I have to dissagree with you on this point as mouldy pollen will in time begin to smell and the bees will not remove it as the pollen grains beneath the mould will be of no use to them what so ever, well past its sell by date. No the bees will not remove it they will leave it alone. I would change the foundation to clean foundation as it should'nt be long before they draw out the comb on the foundation. Get rid of possible disease problems.

Mo

I bow to your superior knowledge Mo, but will keep my eyes open through the year for signs that I may not have got it wrong.

I have to agree your version is definitely best practice, but seem to remember giving slightly furry combs back to a strong colony to clean up, with no apparent ill effects.

Hombre,

OP says about 100 cells. Nothing really. The bees will simply ignore them. Unlikely to be brooding on an outside comb anyway, so IMO, no real problem; they will, or they won't. If the don't it can be sorted later.

Regards, RAB

It is common that pollen in the hives takes mould during winter. Bees clean pollen off and if the wax is spoiled, bees bite off that wax.

You may cut the spoiled piece off an then clue a fresh piece of foundation to the hole. Glue it with melted wax.

But bees take care themselves with mold.

Hi Hombre
I am sorry mate but I have to dissagree with you on this point as mouldy pollen will in time begin to smell and the bees will not remove it as the pollen grains beneath the mould will be of no use to them what so ever, well past its sell by date. No the bees will not remove it they will leave it alone. I would change the foundation to clean foundation as it should'nt be long before they draw out the comb on the foundation. Get rid of possible disease problems.

Mo

brazy is totally out off this issue. further more mould is not a bee disease.

Oh Finman,
I never said mould was a disease did I ? What I would do if it were mine is discard the wax foundation and replace it with new as the bees will normally leave it well alone. What has caused mould in the first place? Dampness condensation, think about the flow of air through the hive and that should reduce the probles of mould developeing on the p[ollen cells.
brazy is totally out off this issue.
Finman I keep bees just the same as anyone else only for your information I am well in "it" and not as u put.

Mo

Please remember to ventilate the hive well and get rid of any mold that might have built up as, it could trigger Chalkbrood.

Chalk Brood is caused by the fungus Ascophaera apis, widespread and found in seemingly unaffected colonies – often appears in the Spring in expanding colonies. The trigger is not completely understood. High carbon dioxide levels in the brood nest, as may occur if there are insufficient bees to ventilate the colony, and deficiencies of pollen are possible factors. It may also be genetic, in which case re-queening may be the cure.
So you can see there may be a factor in which dampness causes mold and that is due to insufficient ventilation.

Brazy calm down. Mouldy pollen is not a problem.
Chalkbrood has nothing to do mouldy pollen or moisture in the hive.

He only asked what to do with that small pollen patch.

There are many reason why mould generates in combs. More ventilation is not an answer.

Last edited:
Ventilation is not only way reduce dampness. More importand is a rise the hive temp that relative moisture goes down. Too much room compared to cluster size is one important point.

Back