Mouldy frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonforeman

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
So after checking the home hives I decided to check the 5 at the out apiary... all doing well after a quick check with eggs seen in all apart from 1.....

1 hive on brood + 1/2 has 4 frames of brood &eggs in super. Also pollen and nectar in the super (on top). There is a little pollen and brood in the bottom on 2 brood frames but the real concern is 6 of the bottom frames are covered in mould. What would be best course of action please?

My thoughts were to swap over the boxes and see if as they grow clean out the frames. I do have a paynes polly nuc and a super that fits this so could put them into this to build up with out the mouldy frames?

If the latter what to do with the mouldy frames?

Thanks in advance

I find it's a bit more complicated than that. A mould on the outside of the wax will be cleaned off but the black mould that sometimes seems to penetrate the wax rarely gets used!
E

I would have suggested you consolidate down into one box, but see you have brood in both shallow and deep frames. This is the reason I gave up on brood and a half, after only one year and went to double brood. I would still try to consolidate, taking out poor and empty frames and putting in some big insulated dummies. I find when the colony has built up strong, in general, they have no problem cleaning up comb.
Bear in mind that it is soon forecast to turn cold again.

Enrico is right a little surface mould they will clean up but that black stuff ruins the combs you can scrape back or they may even chew it back themselves, it rarely works out well though.

Latest posts

Back