Mouldy Beesuit

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROACHMAN

House Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
50+
My beesuits (khaki coloured) have been hanging up in a metal shipping container for the past month or so. Checked them at the weekend to find that they are now covered in black mould:calmdown:

Went down to the supermarket and bought some stain remover but it hasnt worked, Ive also tried soaking them in washing soda but the mould still wont come out.

The suits look really manky.

Anyone got any ideas as to how to get them clean?

I have tried and failed but at least it is clean mould now

Tell me about it having moved from my workshop last year I have had storage in a large shed and a concrete air raid shelter! thats good place to store ones bee suits along with all my power tools or so I thought nice and dry, now peppered with black spots and have been told no chance in removing them.

You could try leaving it, but remove the veil first, in a weak bleach solution over night, then give it a standard washing machine wash. It worked for mine last year however if you add too much bleach you could just end up with a white suit.

as mould is a growth try some algaecide the stuff used on patios try weak solution first

I think there is a 'stain-devil' designed for black mould... not tried it myself though

Had you thought about dying it black
:D

Of course just leaving it in bleach for a long time might take the black marks out, but if it's cotton then your suit might start to wear out rather quickly once you start wearing it again.

You have to ask yourself what else has possibly suffered mould damage and did you consider sealing the container at the end of the autumn with a volume dessicant in there to protect your investment from container rain and subsequent mould?

I suggested it to someone and I think that I saw a long distance shrug, but that was before the winter . . .

:iagree::
You could try leaving it, but remove the veil first, in a weak bleach solution over night, then give it a standard washing machine wash. It worked for mine last year however if you add too much bleach you could just end up with a white suit.

Latest posts

Back