MODULE 6 Question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Ok, just looking at a few of the one point questions on the Module 6 papers

one question Q10 in 2010

"what does DVAV mean?

Yates orange bok just says Joy dance and does not expand much further

but whats the full name for DVAV? Any modern veiws on what the dance is for?, a 1950 phamplet i have say the reasons for the Joy Dance is obscure

Last edited:
just googles DVAV in bee keeping? and got:
DVAV Dance or Dorsal-Ventral Abdominal Vibrations Dance

Ok, just looking at a few of the one point questions on the Module 6 papers

one question Q10 in 2010

"what does DVAV mean?

Yates orange bok just says Joy dance and does not expand much further

but whats the full name for DVAV? Any modern veiws on what the dance is for?, a 1950 phamplet i have say the reasons for the Joy Dance is obscure

Google shows recent references appearing to accept that is is associated with foraging.

The DVAV Dance or Dorsal-Ventral Abdominal Vibrations Dance.

This dance is used to recruit more bees to forage when foraging conditions are favorable. It consists of a bee placing its legs on the dorsum of another bee and vibrating its wing muscles to shake the recruit.

http://entomology.unl.edu/beekpg/tidings/btid2004/btdmar2004.htm

That's not to say that there wasn't uncertainty earlier (1975):

"It has been suggested that it serves to prepare bees for flight, mainly on the grounds that the only occasions on which queen honey-bees are vibrated (subjected to DVAV) are before their orientation and mating flights and before swarming. But conclusive evidence has not been provided, and von Frisch regards the function of DVAV as still being obscure."

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v256/n5520/abs/256721a0.html

The paper often cited is Schneider Stamps and Gary from 1986

"The vibration dance therefore appeared to be sensitive to foraging success on both a long- and a short-term basis. "

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0003347286801063

Google shows recent references appearing to accept that is is associated with foraging.

The DVAV Dance or Dorsal-Ventral Abdominal Vibrations Dance.

This dance is used to recruit more bees to forage when foraging conditions are favorable. It consists of a bee placing its legs on the dorsum of another bee and vibrating its wing muscles to shake the recruit.

http://entomology.unl.edu/beekpg/tidings/btid2004/btdmar2004.htm

That's not to say that there wasn't uncertainty earlier (1975):

"It has been suggested that it serves to prepare bees for flight, mainly on the grounds that the only occasions on which queen honey-bees are vibrated (subjected to DVAV) are before their orientation and mating flights and before swarming. But conclusive evidence has not been provided, and von Frisch regards the function of DVAV as still being obscure."

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v256/n5520/abs/256721a0.html

The paper often cited is Schneider Stamps and Gary from 1986

"The vibration dance therefore appeared to be sensitive to foraging success on both a long- and a short-term basis. "

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0003347286801063

thanks, i will look at the links tonight

ii just used BING and for DVAV Dayanand Anglo-Vedicgotna Dance...which i new was not right...LOL

Seeley talks about this as 'shaking' or 'the buzz dance' in his book.

Seeley talks about this as 'shaking' or 'the buzz dance' in his book.

Their is a video on youtube I think. Possibly mid-labelled but definately doing a DVAV dance.

daam

Right i understand the dilema. The DVAV (Joy) dance .
Haydak (1929,1945) originally gave the name "joy" dance to this activity because he observed it only when the condition in the hive were 'optimum' The DVAV(Dorsal-Ventral-Abdominal-Vibration) terminology proposed by Milum (1955) is less anthropomorphic, and is suggested as a more appropriate name.
The dance is performed by bees of the foraging age or at least old enough to perform field duties.
There is still so much about this dance that is not known.

Mo

Last edited:
Sickle Dance

I raised whether the Sickle dance was just a transition between round and the waggle dance at the LASI university of Sussex lecture on the waggle dance and got the response from Dr Ratniek that the AMM do not do Sickle dances only southern european bees do sickle dances

now i have never seen it and again it is not in Yates...is it a transitional dance or as DR Ratniek...a genetic throw back in mongrel bees to a dance only done by southern european bees( in stead of the round dance?)

Last edited:
Very interesting MM.
I've used a sickle many times but I can't "see" one in this shape?

Which book did the illustration come from?

I raised whether the Sickle dance was just a transition between round and the waggle dance at the LASI university of Sussex lecture on the waggle dance and got the response from Dr Ratniek that the AMM do not do Sickle dances only southern european bees do sickle dances

now i have never seen it and again it is not in Yates...is it a transitional dance or as DR Ratniek...a genetic throw back in mongrel bees to a dance only done by southern european bees( in stead of the round dance?)

/It was a handout at a lecture, not from a book...the sickle shape is supposed

to be similar to the path the sickle blade travels cutting grass....in my case it doesnt show the dropping of it when i cut my toes off...or the blood

We had a Module 6er in with us - quite a lot of sighing. Planning on March but not very long away and backlog of other stuff to clear now (not including planning for next season, building and cleaning kit etc...). Hmm....not sure I like this twice a year malarkey. Was it really that bad MM?

We had a Module 6er in with us - quite a lot of sighing. Planning on March but not very long away and backlog of other stuff to clear now (not including planning for next season, building and cleaning kit etc...). Hmm....not sure I like this twice a year malarkey. Was it really that bad MM?
u

rather a lot of single line question which meant you could easily stray off subject>>>>AND i did

I took it second paper and I had lost energy by the time i got half way through

a few old old chesnuts

swarm Q..how can a beekeeper tell the difference between a swarm QC and asupercedure QC b) queen bee life cycle from emerging to laying perfect brood

Brood patern thru year on graph and discuss alternative condition and paterns ( ie swarm and supercedure breaks)..as i handed it in i realised mine crossed a february not March ahhhhh

30 pointer-Discuss foraging and b) how do bees use pollen in the hive

reactions of Bees when controling hive temeperature>>>.in Warm condition >>>Cold condition (ie cooling and cluster)

and one from 2011 obviously not answered well , what leads to laying workers and b) discuss what hapens in a hive that has laying workers....>>[?false queen>>>worker policing>>egg laying]

Last edited:
There was the section 1 question about borage and poppy forage, which really was a Mod 2 item!!: offtopic:

There was the section 1 question about borage and poppy forage, which really was a Mod 2 item!!: offtopic:

well, i put poppy as pollen only and borage as nectar only...as I could not remember if borage was pollen and nectar but remebers something about borage pollen was of little value to bees

Last edited:
Wild guess for each as I had no idea. If I wanted to know about forage I'd be doing Mod 2.

Yes mod 3 had a question on alimentary canal. A mod. 5 question really, but it's also on the mod3. Syllabus.

Free says round dance for forage up to 25 metres from hive.
Yates says round dance for forage up to 100 metres from hive,

??

Latest posts

Back