Modified Snelgrove - Wally Shaw Question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idg

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I follow the Wally Shaw modified Snelgrove method of swarm control as detailed in the booklet available on the internet.

Basically this is detailed as:-
Phase one is to move parent hive to new location (more than 3 feet away) but place two frames of eggs in a new hive in original location.

Phase 2 (9 days later) is to find queen and return her to original location in new hive. The original hive (in new location) is then left to raise queen cells from fresh eggs and rear a queen.

My question is I have started this process yesterday, but forgot I will not be around for days 6-13. Will it be ok to do phase 2 on day 14? Or is there anything I can do during days 1-5 to smooth out the process

Thanks

I follow the Wally Shaw modified Snelgrove method of swarm control as detailed in the booklet available on the internet.

Basically this is detailed as:-
Phase one is to move parent hive to new location (more than 3 feet away) but place two frames of eggs in a new hive in original location.

Phase 2 (9 days later) is to find queen and return her to original location in new hive. The original hive (in new location) is then left to raise queen cells from fresh eggs and rear a queen.

My question is I have started this process yesterday, but forgot I will not be around for days 6-13. Will it be ok to do phase 2 on day 14? Or is there anything I can do during days 1-5 to smooth out the process

Thanks

Phase 2 requires you to take down all the emergency QC's at the original location and immediately run in the original queen - you would be playing with fire if you leave those original QC's in there. as some could be emerging as you don't know the exact age of the larvae used to make them. you could go in on day five and swap the frame of brood with a fresh one to ensure you get younger eggs and brood to extend the safety margin a little.

One of the first rules in beekeeping: Think before you do anything.

Why do you think Wally specifically quoted doing phase 2 at nine days?

Abortband start again later? Probably swarm before then, so take precautions to avoid that (think about it, first).

It won’t work earlier or later as you hoped I’m afraid. Wallys instructions have to followed to the letter. I have corresponded with him at length over this. Finman is right too if you have other hives requeening. Take that brood box well away.

WHat would happen if I simply didn't perform the 2nd operation. After phase 1 I have the parent colony on a new location with the queen. I have the AS colony with all the flyers on the original location busily generating a new queen.
Can I leave them as they are? There are reports that the lack of nurse bees in the AS would generate a poor quality queen, but my intention with this hive is to requeen anyway due to temperament.
Can you see any problems with this?

Yes - the Q+ side of the Wally Shaw, still having a queen, having replaced the one frame you removed and having, once more a full force of flying bees will swarm.
The Q- side will have probably a poorly raised virgin queen in there, so you'll have precious little bees fit enough to revert to nurse bees to either raise brood when the new virgin gets mated or you introduce a new bought in queen.

Latest posts

Back