Mites

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keithgrimes

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I found a dead bumble queen yesterday, in perfect condition (but dead of course). Fascinated to see several mites scurrying about on her. After some research on the electric interweb I came across a woman who cures bumbles of mites by dipping them in tepid water. Apprently the bee eventually dries out and flies away, no harm done, the mites having jumped off. So, next time you have varroa, take all your bees out of the hive, one by one, and dip them in water.;)

Keith

Thanks, I'll start tomorrow.......will tepid tap-water do or should I buy Volvic?

richard

On a serious note, do you think spraying them with a fine mist of water would have the same effect? Don't shoot me down, I wouldn't dream of doing it.

the mites may be harmless to the bumble bee. there are several species of mite that live in bumble bee nests, clearing up the debris. they hang around on the queen until she starts a nest, then leave her to live in the nest. they leave at end of year on newly mated queens to survive the winter using her body warmth to keep them alive.

;)

A pressure washer would blast the mites off better than a hand spray...:willy_nilly:

On a serious note, do you think spraying them with a fine mist of water would have the same effect? Don't shoot me down, I wouldn't dream of doing it.

Many a true word and all that. Lots of beeks use a water plant spray instead of/as well as a smoker. They settle down to clean themselves off.

the mites may be harmless to the bumble bee. there are several species of mite that live in bumble bee nests, clearing up the debris. they hang around on the queen until she starts a nest, then leave her to live in the nest. they leave at end of year on newly mated queens to survive the winter using her body warmth to keep them alive.

;)

Apparently the infestation can get so bad that the bumble bee is no longer able to fly. But largely they are harmless apart from the tracheal mite that burrows in to the bee

mystery?

;)
I thought all insects were cold blooded and that with honey bees the cluster created warmth by shivering to keep the queen etc. viable through maintaining the hive temperature at 100f. That then raises the question of how a solitary queen bumblebee can keep her own immediate environment warm over the winter....any ideas?

I thought all insects were cold blooded and that with honey bees the cluster created warmth by shivering to keep the queen etc. viable through maintaining the hive temperature at 100f. That then raises the question of how a solitary queen bumblebee can keep her own immediate environment warm over the winter....any ideas?

Central heating??? :p

has no-one watched HRP's video where he immerses his hive in a big tank of water and then picks individual varroa off the survivors?

this is probably what they were doing with the cow urine in a recent thread, and if it was fresh it would be the right temp !! anybody want some.....catch your own available :D

Latest posts

Back