Missing queens

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin G

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
A Bad day:

Visited an out apiary which was last checked 10 days ago, during that check there were 3 hives plus a nuc all BIAS, harvested a super from one.

Today the nuc was devoid of live bees, with a large number dead on the floor. The 3 hives all had plenty of bees and capped stores but no evidence of brood, I didn’t even notice and capped brood, all hives/bees very angry so didn’t want to stay too long.

The question is, could all three queens have stopped laying? If so why? Could they be slowing down ready for winter?

I am hoping they’re not Queenless but am suspicious of their particularly angry behaviour as they’re normally quite calm. Plan is to check again in a few days to see if there are any signs of queens.

I’ve got a couple of other nucs which I was attempting to grow ready for winter so if the others were missing their queens I’ve got a recovery plan.

Any thought welcome,

Martin

As you were harvesting, do I take it that there was no Apiguard on any? Bit late though for that.

Queens stop laying sometimes when that is in place - so appears Qless. She kicks in again when treatment finished.

I suspect the Nuc was robbed out.

I have lots of colonys with no brood of any kind in at the moment... and i am very pleased about this.

Missing Queens

Thanks for the rapid replies. Rather fortunate here, currently no need to treat, long may it last.

So all could be well. If they have just ‘stopped’ will they start again this year?

Martin

most of my hives are broodless also but not queenless. They are busy doing 'stores' atm. I am quite happy with that also. The one that isn't is being robbed.

I thought it was just me that the queens in two hives had stopped completely.

However she is going to be screwed if she wishes to start laying as despite having only been fed 6 litres each they have distributed it over all frames.

Latest posts

Back