Mind-reading bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
5...2 wooden National, 2 poly Nat & 1 poly nuc...bursting at the seams
I'm sure my bees know what I am thinking!

A glorious day here so I thought I would take the nasty old black frames (from the original nuc.)out and replace with clean in the BB...MY BEES have carefully eaten all the stores in the BB EXCEPT the ones on the crappy frames...arggh...:mad:

I also thought I would take out the fondant as they are gathering nicely and not eating the fondant when we have peeked...TODAY they were all over it - and determined not to let it go!:boxing_smiley:

Oh well I guess I must get used t the fact that the bees are wiser than me...:blush5:

Finally a question...checking varroa drop, in 48 hours I have about 10 dropped...should I treat or not?:confused:

Last edited:
Hi Q. I wouldn't treat on the basis of a 48 hour drop count. Monitor for 7 days and then re-assess, IMHO. Looks as if you may need to think about an early season treatment though.

:iagree: Check after 3 days and again after a further 4 days, A daily drop of more than 1 at this time of year requires action - what action is of course up to you.:)

Finally a question...checking varroa drop, in 48 hours I have about 10 dropped...should I treat or not?:confused:

Looks as though you didn't treat with oxalic or, if you did, you didn't check the drop thorougjhly enough and give second dose of oxalic. A bit late now to do much other than keep an eye on it and if the bees suffer after bringing on new brood to succeed the dodgy old age bees you will now have, try an Apiguard without any supers on mid to late April. Best I can think of.

Is it reasonable for Queens to also plan for some drone culling too?

Perhaps if they are all over the fondant having some feed ready is also a good idea

All the best,
Sam

Arfermo, I chose not to Oxalic as I feel wrong pouring acid over my girls and the drop last year was so minimal it seemed unnecessary, and don't think it has caused suffering as they are brooding and gathering strongly with no sign of DWV. I can treat as I bought extra Apiguad and thymol just in case.

Thanks Rose Cottage, I have spring syrup ready, but no room besides the fondant. I'm glad you also thought drone culling was appropriate as I had been planning to as and when it was suitable.

Hi Queens. DWV will only manifest itself when varroa has got a good hold. A high varroa load now will result in a proportionately faster rate of reproduction that may overwhelm the bees' ability to deal with it. In other words, a high load now may result in an exponential increase in varroa numbers that will cause problems later in the season.

I too had little varroa loading last year but I'm comfortable with the fact that I OA'd them later on. A low drop rate is sometimes not an accurate reflection of infestation. Better to check by a number of means, e.g. drone brood mite count too.

I did do a number of assorted counts last year - although I had a steep and at times lonely learning curve. I will do a Spring treatment, which I had semi planned last year - hence the extra supplies.

I just think in bee-keeping as with everything else - I have to do what feels comfortable for me...it may lead to others disagreeing with my methods etc, bt I have to feel comfortable with the choices I have made. If it then leads to a request for advice, I don't mind - but also I can blame no-one but myself if it mis-fires can I? My bees seem happy/healthy/busy so I am sure a spring treatment will do no harm.

Queens,

By all means, keep a careful watch and treat by some means if required.

However, keep in mind your intentions for the later spring - increasing your colony count.

There will be a window of opportunity to hammer the varroa at that time (by treating the broodless parts of the colony by your chosen method. Oxalic acid would be good for a queenless part, IMO, and sugar rolling might be more appropriate to the q+ part.

Of course, if you make a three way split with the intention of replacing the old queen (when the new queen is proven), then oxalic acid could be perfectly appropriate, with little risk on her part of the splits.

Beekeeping is about using your head and taking appropriate action when required. There is not often only the one single (non) option. You are not a bee farmer yet, just a hobbyist!

Regards, RAB

Hi Queens. And I thought I was up late last night! Nothing at all wrong with your strategy, as far as I can see. A calculated decision based on the evidence at the time and now an opportunity to revise that strategy according to developments. If the situation warrants it after further mite drop counts, there are quite a few options open to you. I think that one thing that all beekeepers learn quite quickly is that there are very few hard and fast rules. Bees know best. Good luck!

Queens, another option might be shook swarm when they've built up.

OK -it was 21 deg. where they were and the 7 day count was 59 varroa! So I started to treat today, having upset them by removing what was left of the overwintered super...I swopped the floor at the same time - then they are settled for the forseeable future...

Latest posts

Back