Metoffice Charts

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes that's my reading of the chart and distant memory of it.

Clearly below average temperatures and above average rainfall from May to August is the worst combination for bees but I'd bet the rainfall is more an important factor than the temperature.
Starving bees in July is clearly ridiculous and after last year i did have to consider whether to carry on.

yes that's my reading of the chart and distant memory of it.

Clearly below average temperatures and above average rainfall from May to August is the worst combination for bees but I'd bet the rainfall is more an important factor than the temperature.
Starving bees in July is clearly ridiculous and after last year i did have to consider whether to carry on.

It's not just that ... it's also the unpredictability of the seasons that makes life most difficult .. the variation, year on year, confuses the plant life. I still had anenomes from last summer flowering in January of this year as there had been no significant frosts to stop the growth ... I even had flowers still on my Autumn raspberries and strawberries in early December with no chance of them fruiting but the plants obviously thought differently ... now we've got a really hard frost and the spring growth which has started on some traditionally late spring plants is going to get nipped. The bees are really going to find it difficult ... and if this rain continues ?

2007 was not good

My Grandmother used to blame the "A" Bomb for the terrible weather in the 60's !

What shall we blame?
North Korean nuclear testing?
Neo and the Nicko-tin-amides ?
Global Warming?

Milencovich seemed to think these chaotic weather patterns were natural cycles, Tounsend ?.... species adapt to their environment..... keeping bees adapted to our environment may help!

Who said .. If you do not like the weather in England... wait a minute! ??

Where's me Tin hat?

Curiously, one of the best weather sites is from Norway: http://www.yr.no/

Spend a few moments customising it for your language and location and it will show a huge amount of information about your local weather - or indeed weather anywhere. Both current and historic data is available and many locations have webcams so you can actually see the rain!

2007 was not good

My Grandmother used to blame the "A" Bomb for the terrible weather in the 60's !

What shall we blame?
North Korean nuclear testing?
Neo and the Nicko-tin-amides ?
Global Warming?

Milencovich seemed to think these chaotic weather patterns were natural cycles, Tounsend ?.... species adapt to their environment..... keeping bees adapted to our environment may help!

Who said .. If you do not like the weather in England... wait a minute! ??

Where's me Tin hat?

I subscribe to piers corbyn's weather action forecast, and ok he is a global warming skeptic and always gloom and doom but he does get the major storms and polar sudden stratospheric warmings correct ie the cold high pressure that we are now in and also at the beginning of the month http://www.weatheraction.com/displayarticle.asp?a=514&c=5

but i also find the ECWMF a good site

http://www.ecmwf.int/products/forec...Europe!pop!od!oper!public_plots!2013022200!!/

should this be in OFF TOPIC though rather than beekeeping

Latest posts

Back