Mating Flights

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 Plus
Hi

What generally is the viable time period, as in from when, to when date wise approximately for mating flights for Virgin queens ?

Appreciate from Top to bottom of country it can probably vary, but for central areas ?

Thanks

Brian

It's all weather dependent and if there are enough drones about. You will see an increase in drones during spring and summer and a decline in Autumn. So to answer the question, as long as weather is good and plenty of drones about, anytime between late April to September (roughly).

The South East swarm period is much earlier than down here, climate or micro climates have a big influence on swarming

Thanks

Just back from a late hive inspection, 2 hives, both with Drones present. So deduce still in period when they can perform their function otherwise the ladies would have killed them off

Cheers

Brian

I had two colonies last year with marked queens seen end of September. New queens on first inspection of new season so supersedures done successfully last October. Queens still laying like troopers

Hi

What generally is the viable time period, as in from when, to when date wise approximately for mating flights for Virgin queens ?
Appreciate from Top to bottom of country it can probably vary, but for central areas ?
Thanks
Brian

Witnessed a couple of workers roughing-up a drone on the landing board today - chucking out time?

You will find drones late in the season, it's the bees back up plan if the queen fails

A couple of my hives are still producing drones in good numbers (also lots of worker brood) so there's still plenty of time around here.

I had two colonies last year with marked queens seen end of September. New queens on first inspection of new season so supersedures done successfully last October. Queens still laying like troopers

What date did the new queens emerge on?

Not sure. Last full inspection was last day of September and all was well so didn't open brood box again till spring. So could have been any time from October onwards. Remember there was some good weather about.

Although having thought about this again for the first time since spring, I suppose the heir to the thrones could have already been in place at the end of September. End of season I was less regular with inspections so an earlier supersedure could have happened.

Isn't it amazing how you can sometimes not see the glaringly obvious when you first think about something and see what you want to see. Thanks Hivemaker for making me re-consider.

Although having thought about this again for the first time since spring, I suppose the heir to the thrones could have already been in place at the end of September. End of season I was less regular with inspections so an earlier supersedure could have happened.

Isn't it amazing how you can sometimes not see the glaringly obvious when you first think about something and see what you want to see. Thanks Hivemaker for making me re-consider.

Thinking Beekeepers!! This could catch on....

Often I notice that colonies with new season queens in them are the first to have visibly reduced drone numbers present. This may be an indication that the drones sense there is nothing in the hive to interest them (other than food....) as well as the colony actively reducing drone numbers as it doesn't need their Queen related "services".

Glad I found this thread, I've got a queen less nuc but a member of my local assoc has a virgin due to hatch next weekend. Would people think its viable she'll get mated and laying in time for winter?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It is only early August! Pleeennty of time for a queen emerging in the middle of August. Good if you can reinforce the nuc with a frame or two of emerging brood. The more bees in the nuc, the more she can lay up. Just don't expect her to over-winter as a full colony - that would be a bonus. But, as always, we don't know when theg might shut down for the winter rest. Could be early October, could be early December.

Does anyone know if Drones offer their services to other colonies virgins?

I only ask ask i suspect the new Queens colony is perhaps a little low on Drone count and i know that other nearby more established colonies are aplenty.

Thanks

Bees would have long died out if drones didn't breed with other colonies - would be a narrow gene pool. Also why it's difficult to control queen rearing if you have other beekeepers about.

I just read the starter again and thought 'about 4 days to 6 weeks mostly dependent on weather. Mating chance for the virgin refuces towards that maximum, so the longer it is the more likely to get a drone layer, even before 6 weeks.

Time of year is fairly immaterial. Weather is most important, but will preclude winter and early spring when there are no drones around.

Quite possible and with bees who can tell sometimes. For some reason now in third year I'm far more chilled out about such things. As long as I have a strong laying queen personally I'm not fussed if she was last year's or a new one because my management doesn't differ for what I'm trying to achieve from my beekeeping. Still need to carry out swarm checks, disease inspections etc. Plus with the flow on this year been more stressful keeping up with them than worrying about personnel of the hive. I expect a wet summer next year would bring the old worries back!

Latest posts

Back