Matchsticks are still with us!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But to be fair to an increasing number of beekeepers over here, they are starting to abandon the Open Mesh Floor, and just returning to an ordinary floor, therefore I would assume (from a novice's point of view) they would then have very high condensation levels in their hives, hives which are generally not insulated on the walls, only above the crown board.

Best not to assume.

).

Everyone I've spoken to about this, is in agreement, better a cold hive than a wet hive - the thinking is that the cluster will maintain the necessary temperature for survival, but water dripping down on them will kill them... however isolation starvation is often mentioned in this context.

Cold does not kill over there, because you do not have cold there.

But why you must choose cold or wet hive?

Last edited:
Best not to assume.

Quite right. The assumers are the non-thinkers on this one!

I have used similar - nails or lollypop sticks with solid floors over the winter - but inserted BELOW the brood box after the bees have clustered. Worked a treat and no losses. More than sufficient ventilation, but all BELOW the cluster.

Only i****s use them ABOVE the cluster. What is the point of insulation above the cluster, if all the generated warmth is allowed to leak so easily? Full stop!

But to be fair to an increasing number of beekeepers over here, they are starting to abandon the Open Mesh Floor, and just returning to an ordinary floor, therefore I would assume (from a novice's point of view) they would then have very high condensation levels in their hives, hives which are generally not insulated on the walls, only above the crown board.

So, I'm guessing that the way your hives are able to deal with no top ventilation is that you have an OMF, but what is a beek to do if they go back to closed traditional floors (and yes before anyone says it, I know that OMF reduce the Varroa numbers a bit, etc. I've read the research too.

Not noticed any hives with solid floors having problems with condensation, in fact not noticed any difference whatsoever, brooding is just as good, varroa levels are the same, stores use very similar.
S

better a cold hive than a wet hive - the thinking is that the cluster will maintain the necessary temperature for survival, but water dripping down on them will kill them...

the implicit assumption here is that the water is below 10C . Condensate is usually at the temperature of the surface it condenses upon. So you can get "hot" condensation.
Tree frogs in Australia crawl into tree hollows at night and get warmed up and drink because the water vapour in the warm humid tree hollow air condenses on them.
(note the authors totally miss the heat gain from the condensation)

Tracy CR, Laurence N, Christian KA. 2011 Condensation onto the Skin as a Means for Water Gain by Tree Frogs in Tropical Australia. Am. Nat. 178, 553–558. (doi:10.1086/661908)

Last edited:
Not noticed any hives with solid floors having problems with condensation, in fact not noticed any difference whatsoever, brooding is just as good, varroa levels are the same, stores use very similar.
S

Ditto.
Poly hive covers on all wooden hives. Same stands, same layouts 50% solid floors, 50% OMF. 100mm roof thickness.

Winter with super below Brood.
No condensation despite frequent sub zero temps.

No matchsticks.

I am obviously doing something wrong as winter losses of main hives = nil since I started this system 4 years ago

(But bear in mind the location of the chief matchstick user in this article.. Balmy southern England. With palm trees)

Ditto.
Poly hive covers on all wooden hives. Same stands, same layouts 50% solid floors, 50% OMF. 100mm roof thickness.

Winter with super below Brood.
No condensation despite frequent sub zero temps.

No matchsticks.

I am obviously doing something wrong as winter losses of main hives = nil since I started this system 4 years ago

(But bear in mind the location of the chief matchstick user in this article.. Balmy southern England. With palm trees)

I am much further south than op and don’t have problems with wooden floors and only damp problem I encounter in hives have been from leaky roofs, all poly roofs now.
S

Latest posts

Back