Matchsticks are still with us!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amari

Queen Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
BBKA News, February 2019; 'February in the Apiary'; "I always put four matchsticks diagonally across each corner under the crown board to help create a 'chimney effect' for the air to circulate in the hive therefore reducing the chance of condensation accumulating."

BBKA News, February 2019; 'February in the Apiary'; "I always put four matchsticks diagonally across each corner under the crown board to help create a 'chimney effect' for the air to circulate in the hive therefore reducing the chance of condensation accumulating."

Somebody slipped through a time warp to 1939?

It not as bad as thinking you can drive off the water in a dilute sugar solution to make a concentrated one without expending any energy. I wish I had a tenner for each doctorate and professor who has put that in an academic paper.

What can you expect from such an august learned organisation.

PH

and in the previous edition we have the Chairman - who professes to be an NDB no less! who, even after hefting her hives and stating they have plenty of stores, adding fondant AND 'pollen supplements' to each hive 'just in case'

and in the previous edition we have the Chairman - who professes to be an NDB no less! who, even after hefting her hives and stating they have plenty of stores, adding fondant AND 'pollen supplements' to each hive 'just in case'

Isn't that called belt and braces :calmdown:

Isn't that called belt and braces :calmdown:

No. If that were the case, she would not have bothered to heft!

Likely one who sells sugar syrup as honey later this year. They do not need pollen unless/until they are brooding for spring build up - if the brooding is accelerating, they will need water, too, not fondant which only contains about 11% water.

No. If that were the case, she would not have bothered to heft!

Likely one who sells sugar syrup as honey later this year. They do not need pollen unless/until they are brooding for spring build up - if the brooding is accelerating, they will need water, too, not fondant which only contains about 11% water.

Do you have a sense of humour olive oil .

And these are the folk travelling the country giving talks at local associations. Can't get on the BBKA list of recommended lecturers without being a Master beekeeper.

And it's not just 'Master Beekeeper' according to a tweet from the BBKA this week it's

'The highest rank of Master Beekeeper'​

They are trying really hard to rise above the image of an association of frustrated boy scouts, they'll be issuing epaulettes with Bath stars and crowns next!!! :icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Last edited:
And these are the folk travelling the country giving talks at local associations. Can't get on the BBKA list of recommended lecturers without being a Master beekeeper.

And so the perceived 'wisdom' is perpetuated.

I spoke to one 'enlightened' beekeeper at an event I attended last year who told me in one sentence that he put a layer of 'cellotape' under the roof (on questioning I discovered he meant Celotex and I wholeheartedly agreed with him that this was a very good idea) ... in the next sentence he went on to tell me that it was absolutely NECESSARY to lift the crown board with a couple of matchsticks to stop the condensation over winter.

He then went on to tell me that he runs 'taster courses' for people hoping to keep bees ...

We have no hope. at least not in my lifetime.

And it's not just 'Master Beekepper' according to a tweet from the BBKA this week it's

They are trying really hard to rise above the image of an association of frustrated boy scouts, they'll be issuing epaulettes with Bath stars and crowns next!!! :icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

Highest rank of self opion.... who said "If you can not do teach...."?

:calmdown:

And it's not just 'Master Beekeeper' according to a tweet from the BBKA this week it's

Well that's me scuppered.

And they are looking to inform government on how bees are kept in Britain.
Why not just take the roofs off completely to achieve a wonderful 'chimney effect'?
Argh, just thought of a flaw in my logic, it would decrease condensation but would let the rain in........ how stupid of me!!! However it would result in the same result, no bees in spring.
S

I've been told this as well by well meaning beekeepers, although I did note that they had higher than average losses during last winter, based on what I understood to be UK averages.

But to be fair to an increasing number of beekeepers over here, they are starting to abandon the Open Mesh Floor, and just returning to an ordinary floor, therefore I would assume (from a novice's point of view) they would then have very high condensation levels in their hives, hives which are generally not insulated on the walls, only above the crown board.

So, I'm guessing that the way your hives are able to deal with no top ventilation is that you have an OMF, but what is a beek to do if they go back to closed traditional floors (and yes before anyone says it, I know that OMF reduce the Varroa numbers a bit, etc. I've read the research too).

Everyone I've spoken to about this, is in agreement, better a cold hive than a wet hive - the thinking is that the cluster will maintain the necessary temperature for survival, but water dripping down on them will kill them... however isolation starvation is often mentioned in this context.

Latest posts

Back