Mass of bees flying around then all poured into the hive?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yet another thread without the necessary information on which to comment, other than perhaps a returning queen from a mating flight or orientation flights. If there is/was a virgin queen in a new swarm colony, there will be no young bees requiring orientation flights! So the detail holds the se ret to the diagnosis, I would say.

JBM is likely much on the ball because he has searched out some of the missing information required for mking a good reply. He could still be wrong, of course, dependent on which colony is exhibiting the activity reported, etc.....

Every time, when guys ask, what their bees flying so much at afternoon 2-3, they are mating. IT needs lots of virgins.

I have reared 50 years queens and I have not seen odd swarming. Bees want to get ridd of their poo. Young bees have eaten pollen.

After couple of rainy days poo swarming is usual.

Last edited:
The OP doesn't seem to have hung around for or acknowledged any replies.
I wonder if the weather changed?
I've seen this happen just before rain. :)

Thanks for replies. Have been away a few days out of contact, returned home and all seems normal, no swarming according to my watcher. Still need to go into my swarmed 'hive' from 13th August but following advice will leave for another week or two, then sort out the 'hive' ad hoc structure. The hive I think they swarmed from, I will again leave for a while following advice to see if a virgin queen is around laying eggs.

Not knowing the hive they swarmed from? A recipe for cast swarms (if not at that stage already). ''Seems'' is not a good term. Check and actually find out so you know and are not guessing (probably wrongly).

I remember the following: 'He thought his feet were out of bed, so he got out and tucked them in again' . Think about it.

Not knowing the hive they swarmed from? A recipe for cast swarms (if not at that stage already). ''Seems'' is not a good term. Check and actually find out so you know and are not guessing

He has checked that hive (which has swarmed BTW) the 'guesswork' involves whether the swarm the OP caught was from said hive or just another random swarm :)

Back