Maskotka

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l2346

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Well, the T&M catalogue has just dropped on the doormat, and leafing through l see the tomato variety Maskotka listed. Despite initial resistance on my part, as recommended by others on this forum, I shall give them a try this year 😊

Well, the T&M catalogue has just dropped on the doormat, and leafing through l see the tomato variety Maskotka listed. Despite initial resistance on my part, as recommended by others on this forum, I shall give them a try this year 😊
I don't think you will be disappointed - they outstripped my usual Gardeners Delight by a mile after starting late ... prolific crop of small to medium sized fruit that was very tasty. They are semi bush variety and I found I had to support the fruit bearing stems as they were so heavy. I had so many ripe ones left at the end of the season that as well as eating them all summer they also made about a gallon of tomato and basil sauce. For once I didn't even get any blight either ...

IMG_3420.JPGIMG_3513.JPG

I grew the Muskotka variety for the first time this year and grew three plants in a large pot on an outdoor deck. I grew them as bush plants but, as Phil found, I needed to put support canes in place to support the weight of the fruit. Apart from being prolific, it was also very tasty and no blight. I might try it outdoors in open ground next year.

I'm not sure it tastes better than Gardeners' Delight but it's pretty close.

CVB

Last edited:
I'm not sure it tastes better than Gardeners' Delight but it's pretty close.

CVB

A close second I reckon but the ease and speed with which it grew made up for perhaps a slight difference (perhaps not a deficiency) in taste. I grew mine one to a pot and fed them weekly with home made comfrey feed from the point when they started to flower.

Back