Marking Queens.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eric knockalt

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
8-10
What do people prefer to use when marking queens ,does the smell cause any problems when returning the Queen ?

Eric

I use the posca markers with the queen caged on the brood frame, cheaper bought as a set from amazon. Although one problem this year with one hive, my buckfast cross mongrels decided to lick all the marking off:nopity:

Posca and crown of thorns. Do not go for official colours. I use red and yellow alternate years, as they are easy to see, and I do not sell queens, just give any spares to friends in need

I have a crown of thorns on a piece of string around my neck which I use to catch the queen if I see her. Then I go get the paint from my tool box, take my gloves off, pick her up and mark her with the correct colour for the year. As far as I am concerned all the paint colours work well, so why not use the prper one for the year.

Pick her up with ungloved hand, then transfer to weaker hand and delicately hold her fast by her head and thorax cupped into the tips of thumb, index and middle pinkies, IYSWIM.

Posca, colour by year (though ink wears off within a season).

I have a crown of thorns on a piece of string around my neck which I use to catch the queen if I see her. Then I go get the paint from my tool box, take my gloves off, pick her up and mark her with the correct colour for the year. As far as I am concerned all the paint colours work well, so why not use the prper one for the year.

Sorry, I should have said "I do not use official colours". All I want to know is whether it is this years or last years queen. I mark for my own benefit only.

I started to use tippex recently, after many on here said they did. Works great for me. I only have a few hives and keep good records so not bothered that they are always "white".

I'm going back to using Tippex - the coloured paint in those little 'nail varnish' jars doesn't seem to stay the distance.

I use the posca markers with the queen caged on the brood frame, cheaper bought as a set from amazon.

Markers tend to be a bit 'blobby'. Safest to put a blob on the roof or somewhere spare then dip the end of a matchstick in it, then transfer by match to queen's thorax. No drownded queens, absolute control.

I also much prefer the tube and sponge to the crown of thorns. Once seen, if the tube is lowered open end over the queen she will crawl up into it, follow with sponge (gently) and you have her secure to mark and hold until dry, no risk of sticking crown of thorns through Q or followers.

Markers tend to be a bit 'blobby'. Safest to put a blob on the roof or somewhere spare then dip the end of a matchstick in it, then transfer by match to queen's thorax. No drownded queens, absolute control.

I also much prefer the tube and sponge to the crown of thorns. Once seen, if the tube is lowered open end over the queen she will crawl up into it, follow with sponge (gently) and you have her secure to mark and hold until dry, no risk of sticking crown of thorns through Q or followers.

I haven't come across any Mr Blobby pens yet:D

Thanks all thats made my decision a lot easier ,have tippex,posca , matches crown o thorns ,just need nail varnish ,seriously thanks

Sorry, I should have said "I do not use official colours". All I want to know is whether it is this years or last years queen. I mark for my own benefit only.

Dont see why you cant use the correct colour for the year even if it's for your benefit. It's a good system; why not use it.

I use Day Glow Orange.(Posca) . Makes finding queens easy.

My hive records tell the rest..

Found and marked Madame today only to watch her followers immediately start stripping the (carefully dried) paint from her. Normal Posca pen, by the time I replaced the frame she showed barely any paint at all.
So much for that!

I see your queen is promiscuous. Just like one of mine. I wonder what Posca have put in the yellow colouring to make it tasty?

Latest posts

Back