Maqs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rock_Chick

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
I've heard of a few beekeepers who only use 1 strip in a national hive, anyone else done that and What results did you get ?

I think the instructions changed to this part way through last season i think there was comment on bf at that time

I think all trials had been on bigger boxes

Just done exactly that. Witnessed several bees with dwv on 1st inspection of the year. Took advantage of mild whether last week and treated with 1 MAQS strip.

Subsequent inspection has shown no negative to bees and queen still laying well.

I was reluctant to use two strips after reading negative experiences. Also colony size is reduced at this time of year so two strips could be too much.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I treated mine 2 weeks ago one single brood 7 frames one double on 12. 2 strips in both.
Bees weren't keen to travel past them into upper boxes so the cluster was hanging very low.
Temperatures mid teens during days treatment was in.

I bought them in a panic when I saw mites and DWV at first inspection then read the horror stories and so trawled the net and lots of forums. I decided to treat as no OAV access based on reports that bearding and queen issues seem to be much more common when the temperature is too high.

I got away with it mites visibly reduced queens kept laying well and colonies were visibly busier at end of course however I would be reluctant to use at higher temperatures and have a Varrox on order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I along with others here in the forum bunged on two strips when this product first came out. Some of us lost queens. One is definitely the way to go and seems to be far less dangerous

Need to go find a car battery tomorrow. Have some MAQS left but switching to OAV now.

I've not had much luck with MAQ strips so far I'm afraid.

I lost 2 established queens from 3 home hives and last year I lost first year locally breed queens from 4 of my 8 home hives using 1 strip of MAQs, all in double brood with an super with frames and empty drawn comb in them, so I'm not going down that route again. Some of my club have had no issues and love them like some on here and prior to using MAQs I've not lost a queen for many years so it was quite a shock for me.

This year I've been vapourising OA, and whilst more time consuming, I seem to be getting the right results but I recognise vapourising OA for some people is not convenient either.

Like I said I didn't suffer but it was all I had but Varrox should arrive next week and the MAQS will probably go in the bin. From what I have picked up treatment where temperatures are higher are much riskier and so as mine go out of date before next spring I am unlikely to use them. Going down the OAV route.

Last edited:
The instructions are to apply 1 strip for 14 days then put the second strip in for 7 days. A 21 day course of Maqs to get the mites under the cappings. The instructions are in the American mags but the cost of changing the product licence for Europe was too costly.

That is the first time I have heard that Eyeman, thanks.
E

I will be honest, those instructions are far from clear.
Are the pictures two choices or do you follow one by the other?
Not clear at all to me. Or....... Am I being thick!

E
Just spotted the words 'treatment options' so I guess it is one or tother.
Durrr

Last edited:
Here is the email reply I got from the NOD company that market MAQS

We have changed our messaging from the previous “Half Dose” treatment, to the “21 Day” treatment. The reason for this was that we were finding the half dose misleading for some people, they would only use one strip once, and not follow up with another strip. One strip was not enough efficacy on its own to be an effective mite treatment, especially if that was the only treatment used all year. With the 21 day, it is more clear that a follow up strip must be applied.

The 7 day, 2 strip treatment still has higher efficacy than the 21 day because formic vapour levels are elevated enough to penetrate the brood cap. The lower dose will not get a great kill under the cap, so you are getting the emerging mites on the second round of treatment.

We have some research on this from 2009. Other knowledge is through internal testing and customer feedback.
http://nodglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/fall_2009_maqs_trial_oba_ttp.pdf
http://nodglobal.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/v1-wright-varroa.pdf

Latest posts

Back