MAQS beehive strips.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
£60?!?! Think I'll stick with apiguard and oxalic

That gets you enough for 10 hives. £6 a hive, not excessive. (Smaller packs are available this year.)

But the best time to use it is earlier in the season (incidentally so that there isn't the additional problem of wasps).
And then to keep your supers on later.

You can extend your honey-collecting season by the length of time an Apiguard treatment would have taken - 4 to 6 weeks.
Is that worth an extra £2 per hive?

I think (warmer) poly hives may not always need both strips.
If using 2 strips, having an open-hole coverboard may moderate the blast of vapour onto the bees.
A single strip is probably not enough for a wooden 14x12 with 4 supers and an OMF. But then, we might have guessed that!
However, 2 strips is likely too much for a single brood National with no-hole coverboard and a well-sealed OMF …

Then there's HopGuard in the wings

Yes, it is increasingly less likely anyone will say if they find a silver bullet for varroa - too much money being made from all these potions!

If you did find a way of totally eradicating it you'd make more money selling the patient so it could be locked away and never seen again!

Yes, it is increasingly less likely anyone will say if they find a silver bullet for varroa - too much money being made from all these potions!

If you did find a way of totally eradicating it you'd make more money selling the patient so it could be locked away and never seen again!

Locking away patients is a criminal offence...:icon_204-2:

Treated mine last week with some strips left over from last year but were still just in date,used 1 pack on my big hives (brood !/2 and 1 super) and 1/2 strip on my smaller single brood hives .not as many dead young bees this time,not checked for any supercedures yet but when i last treated in April one of my 5 hives became q-.

I have successfully used Hivemakers thymol mix for years and it has worked brilliantly. However when you have apiaries 35 miles from home one treatment with MAQS is infinitely preferable to three treatments with Thymol. At the end of the garden I would go thymol mix but anywhere else MAQS definitely wins despite it's higher cost. Time and petrol ain't cheap!

Latest posts

Back