Mann lake email

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you could be right MM, slow season = slow stock
with money tied up in stock that could be sat there in overstock untill next year its got to move.
I do not think this is the demise of MN I hope not, more of a hiccup

According to a post I've spotted elsewhere somebody has reported phoning them to be told that they will accept orders tomorrow then everything goes back to the USA and everybody at ML UK is losing their job. I can't vouch for the accuracy, though

Mann Lake here in the U.S. handles the orders from that side of the pond. They are currently overloaded and backlogged filling orders here. Combine this with a huge hit on currency conversion and you will see why the business was struggling to support orders over there. Brexit definitely contributed, just look at the change in currency over the last 2 weeks.

According to a post I've spotted elsewhere somebody has reported phoning them to be told that they will accept orders tomorrow then everything goes back to the USA and everybody at ML UK is losing their job. I can't vouch for the accuracy, though

Arghh, 100kg of pollen sub on order quick.

a sale in june by thornes, means they must really have a lot of unsold stock due to bad weather, so man lake demise could be the same

I think it's due to bad everything. Was chatting at the spring convention to the team at Maisemores. All the traders were complaining at poor turnovers at all the big events - Beetradex was poor, Harper Adams was OK the best one was Builth.

I will go with bad everything, this year for business is awful for us.

What a shame, though I didn't get a lot from them it's always good to have choice. Where now for jz bz queen cups, 50p nuc straps, cardboard nucs and ready made pollen patties?
Also, pity the fools who went for hybrid nationals, I imagine a now obsolete format.

I would have thought the cheap Chinese market will not help these companies.

if you've been keeping an eye of AliBaba prices, you will see the Chinese have started to increase their prices to the UK.

But also shipping weights of wood, causes very high shipping prices to the UK.

and some of the items listed in the catalogues of current Beekeeper supplies in the UK, are made and supplied from China!

e.g. porter escapes, you may think your getting a bargain in the catalogue or via the sale, but check the prices on AliBaba or AliBaba Express.

AliBaba or AliBaba Express are now damaging eBay sales. Providing you can wait, for the delivery timescales from China, which can be quick or slow depending upon vendor, but these Chinese have a system, which gets products to our shores very quick, and no VAT, Import Duty either!

beekeeping (ish) but recently purchased Sunon 240v AC fans for honey warming cabinet from Alibaba Express, at 3.40 each, same fans available from Farnell or RS in the UK, £28.50 + VAT.

I therefore purchased 4 fans. they arrived within 7 days, free postage from China, not counterfeit, same as what I could have purchased from RS or Farnell. All transactions have Buyer Protection, and the AliBaba Express system, in my opinion is better than eBays.

If you are not in a hurry for anything, then try it out!

This is what all the big stores are doing in the UK, purchase from China, and markup for silly money!

Years ago, products were Made in Hong King, Made in Japan, Made in Taiwan, now everything is Made in China, where will be next, when the Chinese economy collapses.

I can not see MN USA having stock shipped back to them it is not viable, MN uk said they will continue more than likely they will have to fund all orders from USA rather then ordering on credit.
we can only wait and see

if you've been keeping an eye of AliBaba prices, you will see the Chinese have started to increase their prices to the UK.

But also shipping weights of wood, causes very high shipping prices to the UK.

and some of the items listed in the catalogues of current Beekeeper supplies in the UK, are made and supplied from China!

e.g. porter escapes, you may think your getting a bargain in the catalogue or via the sale, but check the prices on AliBaba or AliBaba Express.

AliBaba or AliBaba Express are now damaging eBay sales. Providing you can wait, for the delivery timescales from China, which can be quick or slow depending upon vendor, but these Chinese have a system, which gets products to our shores very quick, and no VAT, Import Duty either!

beekeeping (ish) but recently purchased Sunon 240v AC fans for honey warming cabinet from Alibaba Express, at 3.40 each, same fans available from Farnell or RS in the UK, £28.50 + VAT.

I therefore purchased 4 fans. they arrived within 7 days, free postage from China, not counterfeit, same as what I could have purchased from RS or Farnell. All transactions have Buyer Protection, and the AliBaba Express system, in my opinion is better than eBays.

If you are not in a hurry for anything, then try it out!

This is what all the big stores are doing in the UK, purchase from China, and markup for silly money!

Years ago, products were Made in Hong King, Made in Japan, Made in Taiwan, now everything is Made in China, where will be next, when the Chinese economy collapses.

Refractometers are the same. (check for the correct spec)..

I can not see MN USA having stock shipped back to them it is not viable, MN uk said they will continue more than likely they will have to fund all orders from USA rather then ordering on credit.
we can only wait and see

If ML run as a normal business they will hold stocks of fast moving low value items enough to meet 2 weeks' demand with orders

wish we only had to hold 2 weeks of stock. a manufacturing run is 6 weeks for us on most stock and thats from Uk

and they wonder why this country is on its arse with so many adamant on buying from out of the country.

and they wonder why this country is on its arse with so many adamant on buying from out of the country.

but there's making a profit and ripping you off.

RS and Farnell, are only doing the same, and their buying power must be far better, so no idea, what they are purchasing a 240v AC fan for!

I do purchase from UK companies, e.g. Mann Lake, Paynes and Thorne, but £30 profit on a single item! That's excessive!

They do not manufacture they just box shift it, world has become much smaller since the interweb.

and I also purchase from my local high street, rather than online shop in the Supermarket, and purchase from my local ironmongers, and also purchase White Goods, from my local Eurotronics, my last washing machine, dishwasher and cooker, and was just about to purchase a new fridge freezer and.....

Eric Lee, has decided after 83 years, to close his store!

http://www.pocklingtonpost.co.uk/mobile/news/local/closing-83-years-of-history-1-7940465

and that's a real shame...a bit gutted really, their service was brilliant, delivery, installation, taking away the old, for only a few quid more than Amazon, AO and Currys!

Only a shame, they could not get more people purchasing locally from the high street. (and he didn't stock 240v AC fans I asked!)

Gutted!

Last edited:
dam 83 years
there is a place close to me closing thats been there about the same, mate has worked there 35 years ! its all gone silly billy
Mann lake looks to have poped there web site is closed, dang there goes the ultra-bee

If they try and sell without the stock that is fraud so they had to close it whether or not they wanted to. Also the Mann Lake name belongs to the American company and if they tell Mann Lake uk they cant use it that is also a good reason they have had to shut it. The site may be up and running in another guise in the next few days or weeks, he is known to have run other companies on the internet so may start using those again.

Mind you I have just looked at Mannlake uk and clicked through to a working website so must just be your computer. having just gone further I'm wrong the front page exists if you click thro past no it doesn't.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back