manley frames (5lbs)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keith pierce

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
i read or heard some where that manley commercial super frames hold 5lbs of honey and a full super 40lbs.
I have just scraped one back to the midrib that had taken a few prizes in the honey shows this year and all i got was 3lb of honey. there might be another spoonful in the wax that is in the sieve.

image upload

A good Langstroth Manley frame will give 4 lbs, not so sure about the 5.

PH

Manley are usually 1 and 5/8" wide but you can get 1 and 3/4" wide so I suppose this will make a difference to the frame weight.

maby if it had held the 5 lbs i would have got a first with in some of the shows.... thanks

Never thought of using a potato peeler for uncapping lol :leaving:

Never thought of using a potato peeler for uncapping lol :leaving:

I was going to ask Keith what that gadget was.

I use a comb rake from Thornes. Tried one of their Smith cutter/scrapers with not much look.

But still looking for something better.

"But still looking for something better. "

Try an electric Heat Gun but be careful
BK

I have switched to a heat gun ( an old B&D paint gun). It is quicker, but my main reason was that my technique with a breadknife was producing so many cappings that it was blocking the filters.

I still use the comb rake where the comb is too irregular for the gun to melt the cappings without doing too much damage.

Also, I no longer end up with absolutely everything covered in honey!

comb rake

chrismcd,

If you are meaning an uncapping fork, I reckon there is far more 'filter blocking' material from the extractor than from any uncapping knife (unless using a 'toothed' breadknife!).

I still put up with the uncapping fork with relatively small volumes of honey, but scratching frames for, say, half a tonne of honey would be a bear!

Regards, RAB

i just used a plastic spatula to scrape it back to the mid rib and it was a clean as a whistle

Latest posts

Back