Making your own wax frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Packaging might be an issue. Probably easiest to solve by also selling complete honey boxes (if this were to be a product to be mass produced - I am only interested in the idea for myself right now.. and for my own project), and then wrapped. I've heard fresh beeswax is brittle, and that might be an issue too - for me, it'd be make the frame from the mold, and sent it out to the field quickly.

I didn't think about the upset of bee roleplaying in the hive, would they really strike if there was less work to be done and take off in a swarm? I thought they only swarmed mainly due to lack of space or poor living conditions?

I can't believe this thread is serious.

Bees are wax factories.

We only provide foundation to ensure regular comb formation within our frames.

Let the bees get on with their jobs.

Nicotplast in France do a plastic foundation which has cells moulded into it at about a quarter to a third the depth of a complete cell. I am not sure why they don't do one with full depth cells moulded - but you could always ask them. The cells would probably have to be tapered and this may not suit the bees.

I think the problem with a wax moulded full comb, aprt from the problem of tapered cells to allow them to be released from the mould would be the wax would shrink appreciably as it cooled and this would cause cracks - as it could not be taken out of the mould until it had solidified.

There is also the view of course that bees want to make wax and if you deny them this opportunity it could cause problems, particularly with swarming.

Nicotplast in France do a plastic foundation which has cells moulded into it at about a quarter to a third the depth of a complete cell. I am not sure why they don't do one with full depth cells moulded....There is also the view of course that bees want to make wax and if you deny them this opportunity it could cause problems, particularly with swarming.

Maybe the two are related. Hmm.. I have a plastic comb foundation I bought that is 3/4 drawn - I always did wonder about that extra bit missing and why.
The bees don't take as well to the plastic as the drawn out comb, but once it has been worked on the plastic frame seems to work just as well as the natural stuff.

Well, I thank you all for your responses. It appears that some take kindly and some are less appreciative. A new challenge is not without it's critics. I do think this is something worth pursuing still and hope that its implementation will be enjoyed by both species.

is 3/4 drawn plastic comb less easy for the bees to produce emergency cells on?????
emergency cells like queen cells? I don't think queen cells would be compatible with plastic comb since the base cell cannot be enlarged - so yes, I imagine they would be less easy to build with. But that doesn't mean that they couldn't build offshoots from the frame, or find some other place like the interior side of the box.

Emergency queen cells start out as normal cells and the bees simply draw them out further and then turn the end down like a nose. I don't think plastic drawn comb would make any difference but it would discourage them from making drone comb, which they can do on plastic sheet foundation by ignoring the embossed hexagons but if the comb was already partially drawn in plastic it would give them a problem to alter the cells to drone size.

. . . but it would discourage them from making drone comb, which they can do on plastic sheet foundation by ignoring the embossed hexagons but if the comb was already partially drawn in plastic it would give them a problem to alter the cells to drone size.

Does anyone have experience with imprinted plastic brood foundation and have any insights regarding this please?

I was rummaging around in the workshop of a well-known beekeeping outfit this summer and came across a Langstroth frame made of aluminium, including the comb. Apparently just an educational item, but it did make me wonder if it hadn't been tried at some point...

I just thought I'd update this since it has been a while and I have been pursuing this some more.

I built a prototype mold out of arcrylic on my laser machine, placed the mold in melted beewax and froze it. I then pryed the mold from the wax and presto - honeycomb. I must admit I destoryed the wax the first couple times, but came up with a way for keeping it in tact during removal. The walls are circular for now (available parts), but I imagine with a little redesign, I can get the results I was looking for. The depth of the cells is about 3/4".

I've ordered up an aluminum prototype to test it further.

I was rummaging around in the workshop of a well-known beekeeping outfit this summer and came across a Langstroth frame made of aluminium, including the comb. Apparently just an educational item, but it did make me wonder if it hadn't been tried at some point...

I forgot to comment on this a while back. Yes, aluminum comb (for the honey industry) has been patented in the states. Not quite clear on why they don't use it.. maybe costs..

I have just come to this thread and have to say I need to go and re read it again but I have to ask why is it just an exercise or are you serious.

I have just come to this thread and have to say I need to go and re read it again but I have to ask why is it just an exercise or are you serious.

join the party.

I must admit, regardless of the outcome of the workings, I would have thought that the idea had merit on a grand scale. I have recieved welcoming responses from commerical beekeeping - subject to it working of course.

Ok have just read through the thread again although it is keeping me from my work and I understand it a bit better now its surprising what that 2nd cup of tea can do.

Its an idea and if its what you are convinced it will work then I wish you well, but I think it is a barking idea but then you mention that you hold a British passport and perhaps a bit eccentric and then it all makes sense lol.

I wish you well in time I may have to eat my words.

I would love to see the packaging for this product-I recon the damage to a fully drawn out wax sheet of comb would be terminal before it got into a frame to support it.

I would love to see the packaging for this product-I recon the damage to a fully drawn out wax sheet of comb would be terminal before it got into a frame to support it.

Having just handled a load of drawn frames during extraction, I have to agree. The are sol delicate that you'd really struggle to get them delivered and attached to frames without wrecking them.

Given that they'd end up being a lot more expensive than rolled wax sheets, I'd be inclined to let the bees carry on making cells - they're quite good at it, and it only costs a small amount of honey!

Well, the plan is to build the honeycomb on a structured frame, like you would have fully drawn comb built (by bees) on foundation attached to a wood frame. So, they should be able to handle the same abuse that a frame would encounter in a centrifugal extractor - maybe DHL or FedEx uses this same practice to sort out their packages in their distribution centers?

On a serious note (not that any of this seems serious), the beekeepers here will send hundreds of supers full with empty drawn comb across the country to get radiated. At $10bucks a pop, I doubt they would take on the expense if all their frames were to come back broken.

I'm all about the idea being barking mad - if it wasn't, it would be done already and in a magazine. I won't be selling my house or spending sleepless nights rocking in a corner, I assure you all. Maybe just a little bit of this --> :willy_nilly:

Do they come with play cups ,or full queen cells :D

Latest posts

Back