Making mead as another hobby

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeAdmin

Field Bee
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Any thoughts?

It would be great if you have mead making experience to share.

This year I have washed my capping after I have drained the honey off them. I have been amazed at the high gravity of the liquid you get just from washing in warm water. I have made a variety of fruit meads together with a pure heather one. At present I have 6 Demi Johns fermenting away. Two from grape juice (grape donated from a friend), Raspberry, Black Currant, Blackberry and a Heather. I have not tasted any of them yet. There's loads of information on YouTube that will help you on your way.

Attachments

• IMG_0126.jpeg
    IMG_0126.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Made some inadvertently after I filled a honey bucket with wax cappings with water. A week later the Honey bucket lid blew off across the garage so I knew there was a good fermentation on the go. Filtered and Bottled it in Demi Johns and it’s still bubbling away.
Note all I have done is add water. Not added any yeast so I’m assuming the wild yeasts on the wax cappings brought in by the bees is at work.
Couple of questions. How will I know it’s drinkable - if it tastes ok can it still poison me and second question is is this the right way to make mead using not adding a specific yeast / measuring it out ?

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back