Making Frames - Why won't my foundation lie flat?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Der Alte Fritz

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Have started my winter job of making up frames but cannot seem to get the foundationt to lie flat when in the frame. It always has a bit of a wave towards the bottom, even though I have slide it into the grooves on the side bars and made sure it is firmly between the two bottom bars. Have checked that my bottom bars are 14" apart.

Does this matter or does someone have clever way of stopping this.

Have started my winter job of making up frames but cannot seem to get the foundationt to lie flat when in the frame. It always has a bit of a wave towards the bottom, even though I have slide it into the grooves on the side bars and made sure it is firmly between the two bottom bars. Have checked that my bottom bars are 14" apart.

Does this matter or does someone have clever way of stopping this.

Find a nice flat surface and a joiners try square. use flat surface to make sure that the frames are not twisted. Use try square to make sure frames are rectangular. Simples:)

Sometimes foundation needs trimming - found that with Th**s premium this year (their bog standard stuff was fine) But aren't you better off keeping your foundation sealed up until the spring?

I cut a slice away from foundation that there is a 10 mm gap between lower bar and foundation.

Too early to wire and melt foundations.

You mean the foundation is wider than the slot? Is it one pack or all? Can be storage, if the wax is at the bottom of a pile or gets too warm it can 'spread'. Trim a mm off with a sharp knife.

Sometimes foundation needs trimming - found that with Th**s premium this year (their bog standard stuff was fine) But aren't you better off keeping your foundation sealed up until the spring?

Due to work commitments I never have any time for this kind of job in the Spring. I intend to make up the frames and then cling film them and keep them in the loft.

In your position I would make up the frames. Leave the foundation to the last minute.

If however you absolutely have to do it then run a hair drier over it just before you give it to the bees.

The foundation is OFTEN slightly larger and needs trimming, save the offcuts as they make nice solid candles if melted down.

PH

You mean the foundation is wider than the slot? Is it one pack or all? Can be storage, if the wax is at the bottom of a pile or gets too warm it can 'spread'. Trim a mm off with a sharp knife.

i do not understan above.....

When you put foundation into the hive 36C, it becomes soft and it enlarges downwards. Sometimes it it is too wide to put into frames. some guys push the foundation tinto frames what ever size. If it loosens apart from top bar, fix it with melted wax.

When yo put the foundation on the frame wires, room temperature should be 25C.

Then give circuit to wires from car accu loader.

I use 1000 W electrict heater in the circuit.

Last edited:

yep, stored some on top of the kitchen cupboard....none of it fitted, wheras the same foundation had previously fitted well

sliced just a little off each sheet

Due to work commitments I never have any time for this kind of job in the Spring. I intend to make up the frames and then cling film them and keep them in the loft.

In that case put them all in a lidded storage container and tape the joints, i have some stuff from this year and i can't be bothered to take it out of the frames again so that's what i've done

i do not understan above.....
Then give circuit to wires from car accu loader.

I use 1000 W electrict heater in the circuit.

Finman................what you describe is normal international practice......similar to what we do, though we get the foundation made for us short sized so we do not need to trim it, and we embed it using bettery chargers.

It is not the same as the other on here are talking about. They use prewired foundation, and only very rarely prewired frames. The foundation has to be very precise in its fit or it bows due to being oversized, or sags due to being too small and not being in the side grooves of the frames (grooved side bars, another UK speciality rarely seen anywhere else).

Ill fit is common. (and a PITA) Our Smith unit was all frames like that, but we are drilling them all out and converting them to prewired.

Take a spare frame nail and pass it through the middle loop of wire poking out the bottom of the rails. Twist it round a few times and it will put the wire and foundation under slight tension... No more floppy foundation.

In your position I would make up the frames. Leave the foundation to the last minute.

If however you absolutely have to do it then run a hair drier over it just before you give it to the bees.

The foundation is OFTEN slightly larger and needs trimming, save the offcuts as they make nice solid candles if melted down.

PH
Sounds like a plan as the lengthy bit is making up the frames. Will leave foundation wrapped and one bottom bar off frame

Back