Making candy for first time

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what temp did u bring it to? did u use an acurate thermometor.

what quantity of sugar did u use?

you need a sugar thermometer to make sure you get it up to temp. they are quite cheap I got mine for around £6.

It seems to me to be quite critical as to the boiling temperature reached (which indicates the sugar concentration). Hence the benefit of an accurate thermometer. (See Rosti's sticky thread with video demo - but I'd say add some fructose and stop a fraction earlier...)

Baco White Fondant is the easy way, and if your time has any value, buying ready-made is cheap!

"See Rosti's sticky thread with video "
(select video on our address bar above then type rosti in the search box)

agree with itma - the temperature is key and it's much more critical than for jam making!

Fondant is about 12% water.

That particular recipe is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

it worked for me, until I discovered BAKO's depot was only four tube stops away

Fondant is about 12% water.

That particular recipe is about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Its not clear whether you are referring to Rosti's recipe or the one referred to by the OP.

It appears that you were only being 'dismissive' of one ... and I'm guessing it's not Rosti's. However Richardbees looks to have applied a more literal and sequential reading of the thread ... :spy:

Richardbees looks to have applied a more literal and sequential reading of the thread

He would. Not able to understand the reply in context? Or maths is not a strong point?

Rosti is OK.

Followed the Rosti video and made fondant twice this year, successfully! Rosti stresses that temperature measurement is critical to the whole process, not time. I found that the temperature of the boiling solution rose more slowly and took longer than I expected. If you haven't got one, invest in a sugar thermometer, or probe so you can monitor accurately.

Or use the appropriate quantities, and not have to boil for ages to evaporate unwanted water!

5:1 is in the realms of honey water content so is highly likely not to crystallise on cooling without considerable boiling! Simple maths!

Last edited:
The recipe worked for me but only on my second attempt as I made a schoolboy error thinking 1/5 is the same as 1:5. Doh :)

made fondant last winter. disaster! Covered cooker in molten lava, burnt myself and fondant turned into glass. 3 hours to clean and unblock gas jets on cooker.3 days before wife spoke to me again. banned from making fondant now. just buying bakers fondant works for me.

Thank you for all the advice once again chaps good feedback I love this forum although I don't get chance to view as often as I would like.

Just finished my first top bar hive looking forward to putting some of the girls in there.

Taking it to apery next week photos will then follow trying a different style frame who knows what they will think?????????????

Latest posts

Back