Making candle moulds

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the same mould as yours (Thornes)
They specify the wick size according to the finished candle, so 1½" for these.

New supers this summer gave me some lovely white cappings wax.:D
View attachment 29505
Now those are beautiful. You can tell they are quality beeswax. I like to leave curl in my wicks

I've not had any trouble unmoulding these. Some cheaper moulds from Amazon can be a pain but these just slide open nicely.

I cut the wicks to 1cm ish when done.
(If you dip the whole wick before moulding, rather than just the end, it's more uniform so cuts neater.)
Morning Thanks for that, I am looking to buy more moulds, I will stay clear of amazon.
The thing with having longer wicks the end curls over when burning and the candle supposedly will have a bigger flame and burn to quick (only what I've read) it Says a Quat of an inch is recommended from what I was reading.
What are folks experience?

What are you using to filter the wax ?..they look like the wax needs a couple more eun though of the filter medium. I use old flannelette sheets cut into circles and placed in a nesh funnel. The candles look so much better when they have a nice yellow/cream appearance rather than the brown tinge. You will also find that clean wax does not smoke ... when you gave impurities in the wax they burn with a smokey flame and they tend to have a different smell ... not as pleasant.
They are not burning with smoke the flame is bright and clear
Filtering was done using tights

Morning Thanks for that, I am looking to buy more moulds, I will stay clear of amazon.
The thing with having longer wicks the end curls over when burning and the candle supposedly will have a bigger flame and burn to quick (only what I've read) it Says a Quat of an inch is recommended from what I was reading.
What are folks experience?
It's cosmetic...it looks nicer....you trim the wick before burning...obviously. I think it says that on the warning sticker you have to put on when you sell them

It's cosmetic...it looks nicer....you trim the wick before burning...obviously. I think it says that on the warning sticker you have to put on when you sell them
I've seen some for sale with very long wicks

They are not burning with smoke the flame is bright and clear
Filtering was done using tights
You need a finer filter than tights for really clean candle wax ... when they judge candles at the honey show they light the candle and even a hint of smoke will affect the marks.

You need a finer filter than tights for really clean candle wax ... when they judge candles at the honey show they light the candle and even a hint of smoke will affect the marks.
Do you have any links to materials or filters I can buy without me trorling through pls.
Fine cotton sheets?

Do you have any links to materials or filters I can buy without me trorling through pls.
Fine cotton sheets?
You don’t need to. Your candles burn without smoke as you say so the wax is clean enough.

Fine cotton sheets?
Flannelette sheets are good ... just cut them into circles that fit your funnell ... look up Andy Willis candle making on Google.. Southampton beekeepers. tells all there...

Flannelette sheets are good ... just cut them into circles that fit your funnell ... look up Andy Willis candle making on Google.. Southampton beekeepers. tells all there...
Found them cheers.

Are you mad? It's Christmas nearly
Nope it was going to be in early December but the carpenters daughter is in hospital with lucemia, and I've been looking for some one since to help with installation.

Latest posts

Back