Making candle moulds

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I am looking to make a candle mould of the Clee any advice pls.
Well ... apart from all the obvious humour at your expense ..... It's not a easy as you would think. Firstly you have to make a model of the Clee out of plasticine (easily moulded to the shape you want) ... then suspend it upside down in an appropriate size container .. fill container with two component silicon compound. Allow to set ... ease it out of the container (keep the container) cut the 'mould' in half - remove your model ... place the two halves back in the container and make your candle.

It's not a cheap business - casting silicon is expensive .... the moulds don't last forever - you need several to make it wortwhile so ideally you need a solid model of your item so you can make several moulds ... plasticine is only good for one. So you can either make your first mould and them make a plaster of paris model for making more moulds or you could carve the original model in wood or make it in clay and bake it.

Here's a tutorial that will give you some idea:

https://www.google.com/search?clien...candle+mold#kpvalbx=_ePl-YYWvDtmD8gKd6bzIDQ42
If you want my advice.... don't bother ! Who would want a candle in a shape of The Clee (apart from you it seems !).

You don’t have to do it to scale😂
Yeah I was joking of course.
My idea is to make small candles that are a likeness of the Clee to put into hampers etc.
I've spoke to a few of our honey outlets and some are keen to buy candles as are some locals, I've also been thinking about wax melts.

Wouldn't bother personally. As pargyl says, it involves way more work than the project justifies.

But if you really want to continue down this route..... get a bit of random shaped stone off the hill, mould that and attach a little explanatory label.

Wouldn't bother personally. As pargyl says, it involves way more work than the project justifies.

But if you really want to continue down this route..... get a bit of random shaped stone off the hill, mould that and attach a little explanatory label.
That's a good idea .... you could even spend a day or two on the hill looking for a bit of stone that looked vaguely like the hill .... beefarmers have so much time on their hands at this time of the year ...

That's a good idea .... you could even spend a day or two on the hill looking for a bit of stone that looked vaguely like the hill .... beefarmers have so much time on their hands at this time of the year ...
No need for an accurate facsimile. Just a piece of rock off The Clee. Label it such. A bit like Moon rock. Provenance is all.

Just to roll with it....... Dressing dhustone or granite isn't easy, I think after looking up what I'll need to buy I'll use the molds I've got.

A better bet than the silicone process as described might be to use paint on latex, I used to get all my moulding supplies from this company

https://maragon.co.uk/arts-and-crafts.html#Init
You would also need an outer layer of plaster of paris or plaster impregnated bandage to support the mould so it doesn't sag. The website quoted gives loads of hints tips and tricks on how to do it.

Latest posts

Back