Maisemore queens?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nonstandard

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
9 colonies & 2 nucs
Is anyone in a position to comment on Maisemore Apiaries queens? I have a £20 voucher to spend with them but for me up here in Derbyshire the postage rates on equipment are a killer.

I see that they have queens both imports and home bred available, and was wondering if anyone had used them before.

What are you looking for, one previous careful owner . . . ? LoL

Home reared, not bred, and probably not by but for Maesmore and possibly not from a unique single supplier, but from a large bee farmer in the wider general area.

I would imagine that the quality would be similar to that of Thorn(e) and availability much similar too, due to common practices.

Is the voucher redeemable for the cash, even with a small administrative charge? It might prove to be of more value that way.

£36.75 and sold out. Imported Q in their nucs and "dark British"....mostly Carni in those parts. Hmm.

You can send it here if you like :hurray:. I have two outstanding problems with one order. Urgghhhh.

Thanks,

Maybe I should have ordered one while I had the chance as it looks like I now have at least one unmated queen :(

maisemoor queens

I was at their shop on thursday and asked about availability they said they have more arriving end of next week. I got the impression they are Greek/buckfast imports.

Thanks hallshoney, I rang them on Wednesday and she arrived today, according to them she is a carnolian of European extraction. She is obviously reasonably tough as she has survived two days being bumped round the great British postal service.

Out of interest should I have received any details of her source? All I got was a written receipt for '1 queen bee'

Last edited:
I had to pass close to Maisemore on a trip from Bucks to Herefordshire so called in - always useful to get a real feel for organisations who are alswo on line. What a delightful corner of the world and nicely off the beaten track. Noticed that it was close to Hartpury Bee Shelter (a sort of bee bole created in the area in 19th century?) No time to call in to the church to see the shelter. On the whole I like to support local businesses but we don't really have anything close by. I should imagine that most areas benefit from a thriving local business. Of course, though there were some hives, I appreciate their queens are probably bought in.
Tricia

What a delightful corner of the world and nicely off the beaten track. Noticed that it was close to Hartpury Bee Shelter (a sort of bee bole created in the area in 19th century?) No time to call in to the church to see the shelter.
Tricia

It is....and gets better and better as you drive north a county or two :). Not that I'm biased. The bee bole is really interesting - got some photos somewhere - BUT we have friends who had their car broken into (a beekeeper, so only a tenner to steal, so even more annoying the cost of repair) parked just there, so the rural idyll ain't always as it seems sadly.

Yup, scumbags are everywhere. Been to Maisemore on a few occasions, it's a lovely day out in beautiful countryside and they are a great, friendly bunch.

Out of interest should I have received any details of her source? All I got was a written receipt for '1 queen bee'

Didn't they send you the queen's registration documents and passport? I'm sure that they normally do. :) Ask your bee inspector, he will probably tell you that he would liket to see them when he calls . . .

Just call me cruel :)

Noticed that it was close to Hartpury Bee Shelter (a sort of bee bole created in the area in 19th century?)
Tricia

My sister has lived about a mile away from there for the last 10 years and I still haven't got around to going to look at the bee shelter!

I don't recollect getting even a receipt for my cheque for queen bees - cheques only need a receipt if requested. No label to say what type, but I did know what I was buying of course. I have to assume that your's wasn't so much Buckfast as Maesmore?

Oh, I did get a telephone call though . . . does that count. Drat, forgot to request the passport.
No secret text here.

Latest posts

Back