Magners bee aid

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't agree with the definition in my dictionary, but anyhow on the basis of the Irish people I've known I'd argue that the Irish don't have a national or cultural tradition that's particularly distinct from the Welsh, Scottish or English.

James

Doesn't agree with the definition in my dictionary, but anyhow on the basis of the Irish people I've known I'd argue that the Irish don't have a national or cultural tradition that's particularly distinct from the Welsh, Scottish or English.

James

JamesF - you really do have a lot to learn....... Even within Ireland there are cultural traditions that differ and are perceived to divide!

JamesF - you really do have a lot to learn....... Even within Ireland there are cultural traditions that differ and are perceived to divide!

Also if he checks the Oxford English Dictionary there doesn't need to be a cultural difference they merely need to be a different nation which they will definitely tell the world they are.

I don't have a copy of the OED and the only on-line reference to the OED definition I can find appears to go off on a completely different track, but having researched the term a little further it appears that there are as many different definitions of "racism" (some contradicting each other and more that demonstrate a definite lack of clarity of thought) as there are people wishing to claim that someone else is a racist. So I am happy to admit that by some definitions it can apply to perjorative comments made about Irish people by others.

On the whole though, I think I shall continue to use "xenophobic" in this context unless I wish to accuse someone of committing a criminal offence.

James

Personally I prefer not to have a deep dislike of anybody foreign or otherwise (OED) and I definitely wouldn't want to have a hatred or fear of strangers/foreigners (the free dictionary).

A couple of weeks back an italian friend and romanian wife had cause to take one of their young twins to A&E at Mayday (sorry, Croydon University) Hospital.

Apparently they don't fancy going back there again as it was "full of foreigners".

I tend to agree with JamezF on this.
As far as I know neither the French nor the Irish are a different 'race' than the English / Welsh etc. Race usually refers to an ethnic origin, and wouldn't usually be applied to religious orientation either.
For example, racial hatred against 'muslims' is not possible because they are not a distinct race - this would be incitement to 'religious hatred' (hence the change in the law in 2006).
I'd say xenophobia is more accurate.

And anyway, I reckon the original comment was probably tongue-in-cheek and didn't seem offensive to me. I've endured a lifetime of sheep jokes without crying 'racism'.
I think there is a danger that taking offence to a bit of teasing of national stereotypes begins to belittle real racism (and there is still a lot of that about IMO)

What I'm really interested in is an explanation for the above statement.

I'm not agreeing with the "sitting on their......"part, nor would I use the word "milking" and it may not have been "billions" but there certainly was a time in the late eighties/90's (when I could afford to visit Eire regularly before prices rocketed) when everywhere I seemed to go there would be an EU blue board announcing a new road/building project which was EU funded. Certainly I never saw them in the UK at the time and I say welldone for getting money OUT of the EU.

Perhaps that was what JBM alluded to?
Cazza

Wow, this discussion seems to have taken on a life of it's own......

Just to keep the original topic alive I have contacted Magners and tried to speak to Kirsty Hunter about this "Bee Aid" to see if it is worth writing about (I do some work with Beecraft and for my own blog) and supporting.

Sadly after two attempts she hasn't responded by phone or e-mail which is a shame I feel.

Anyhow I hope everyone is having a pleasant evening.

James

...."after two attempts she hasn't responded by phone or e-mail"

neither would any of us with free unlimited access to client product!

Anyway, we don't need any more alky beekeepers

oh and they're Irish. So every £ spent on Magners supports the Irish rather than the UK economy.

No one understands that statement amongst those who heard about David Ricardo and the concept of "comparative advantage".

Whatever the mass media disseminate, Ireland is light years ahead of UK if we talk about real economy and not the zombie finance and banking. I'm not talking about GDP or other indicators, but the direction of the taxation toward economic justice.

Google a bit of "land value tax Ireland" but do not believe everything you read.

Latest posts

Back