Low brood

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red Bee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I AS'd one of my hives last season in late June, the new Q mated & came into lay but for the rest of the season only laid up two frames of brood. The hive has come through winter and started brood rearing but again only two frames of brood, whereas my other hives have 6-7 frames of brood.

I assume this is a problem with the Q & will need replacing. Has anybody else experienced anything like it?

She needs replacing, but you know this. Queens come in all guises and given any average some are brill and one of the other type is in your hive....

PH

In my experience, the queens that are the worst layers are replaced by the bees or stop laying altogether. Although 2 frames is small for a 14 x 12 and the bees will have difficulty in getting going as they won't be able to keep the brood warm very easily. If they were very small going into winter - at least they have got through. Some young bees from another hive would give her a chance to lay more and get going. As would a smaller hive. A 5 frame nuc or reduce the size of the existing box.

Queen problems are "normal" to me after winter. Some loose their ability to lay.
I think that reason is nosema. Some stop laying totally.

Sometimes they have crushed a little bit during inspection. Last Spring I had two such queens. One had a sunken point in thorax and still layed with half speed.

such happens.

Latest posts

Back