Lost Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stickyfingers

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
Think I may have lost queen. Did not see her last inspection seven days ago. Also have not seen her on today's inspections and there are no new eggs or larvae.

What do I do?:eek:

get yourself a frame of eggs off another beekeeper and put that into your hive if they are queen less they will make queen cells if not they have some sort of queen in the hive.

If sudden, I would expect emergency cells to be built.

Is there a supercdure cell in there that you have missed?

get yourself a frame of eggs off another beekeeper and put that into your hive if they are queen less they will make queen cells if not they have some sort of queen in the hive.

There was capped queen cells but I removed them as I went along:eek:
Can I move a frame form my other hive in there. Do I just shake them all off and put it in there.

Did you remove the QCs during earlier inspections or when there were no eggs, etc, ie recently?

Ah! Always check for brood in all stages (BIAS) *first*. You need to observe before acting.

They were building queen cells because they had no queen/failing queen/faulty queen/etc, and you took their last chance away.

See if by any chance you missed a cell which you should leave alone, if not, as previously suggested, a frame of open brood will should allow them to start again.

Last edited:
Ah! Always check for brood in all stages (BIAS) *first*. You need to observe before acting.

They were building queen cells because they had no queen/failing queen/faulty queen/etc, and you took their last chance away.

See if by any chance you missed a cell which you should leave alone, if not, as previously suggested, a frame of open brood will should allow them to start again.

OK Thanks!

update your hive numbers as well this will give more info for your answers, oh and you didnt mention knocking down queen cells in the original post. Best to post as much info as you can as it helps with the answers given.

:iagree:

and get another colony if you can - two colonies is a real help: you can compare activity, status, disease, etc, and you can swap or donate when a situation like this arises, and is really very little extra work (but it is more expense!)

hi DorsetB
just thought I'd commiserate with you and tell that I did the exact same thing a week ago...fortuneately I had just met a really friendly local beekeeper who gave me a frame with a queen cell on it so we slotted this in and she has now emerged. Weirdlly sighted a large percentage of the colony plastered all over the outside of the hive. Maybe they were welcoming the queen back after her drone flight...who knows? Now giving her a bit of space so will look and see in a couple of days to see if there are any new eggs. So what seems like a tragedy and a huge mistake will probably come right in the end....fFingers and toes crossed!
Regards
Julia

Shake all the bees off a frame with eggs from your other hive. If they havent already then they'll make some queens from this

If sudden, I would expect emergency cells to be built.

Is there a supercdure cell in there that you have missed?

these three appeared last nite. There are two larvae in there. Will these be duds as they put a larvae in there rather than an egg? Also I think there is already a two capped one. Can someone please confirm this the case.

23j4p39.jpg

2hic6ld.jpg
[/IMG]

They can make a queen out of any worker larvae up to 4 days old so should be ok.

My eyes aren't working today (night shifts:rolleyes:) but that looks like a sealed cell so that's a good thing. If it hatches then the virgin queen will rip down all the other cells, either way they should still produce a replacement queen. Provided she mates successfully of course;)

Latest posts

Back