Lost a hive to wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My happy little mating Nuc with new laying queen got wiped out between Thursday morning & Friday afternoon. Hardly seen a wasp till Friday.:(

What kind of mating hive? I have a couple of apideas, they don't seem to be bothered by wasps, unlike the hives, the wasps are testing the entrances all the time.

Home made from scraps of plywood on a rainy day. Bit bigger than an Apidea with 5 frames & was on the 8mm entrance. The first thing I noticed was the lack of bees trying to squeeze their way out.

Sorry about your loss Veg. When the BI gave a talk recently he talked about how wasps can pick out a weak colony. I had some mating nucs at our new site and notice lots of wasps but got lucky they had been left alone.

Well here goes nothing: sheet of Wickes 2mm Acrylic "glass" now reaches from in front of landing pad to top of brood box. I really hope my girls can find their way round it: I take everyone's word for it but it looks pretty incredible that they will!

My colony is now strong (bias on 8 frames) but the b****d wasps were on the ground picking up the undershooters today. Estate agent's board on the pallet hopefully helps that.

Thanks for the tips

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back