Lost a hive to wasps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VEG

Queen Bee
Beekeeping Sponsor
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
15+-some
First time for me to lose a hive to wasps, absolutely nothing left in the hive, no bees dead or alive and no stores.
Hive sealed up.

First time for me to lose a hive to wasps, absolutely nothing left in the hive, no bees dead or alive and no stores.
Hive sealed up.

How strong was the hive before?

I have noticed a huge increase in wasp activity in the last two weeks.

Luckily all my hives are pretty strong and seem to be coping with the situation.

It was my weakest colony all have reduced entrances in, so I guess the wasps found the weakest and cleaned them right out.

Just out of interest, had you deployed any traps near the hives?

Sorry to hear that. What a dreadful thing to discover on looking in.
I've seen lots about. Not so many near the hives but all my boxes (apart from the wooden one with an underfloor entrance) have reduced entrances....down to 2 bees.

Wasps have gone crazy in last 10 days, I am just back from a small out apiary where there are 6 very good colonies (well they were), there are heaps of dead wasps outside each hive (on reduced entrances) with many hives now powerless to stopping the wasps enter. I will pack up and move those 6 colonies tonight to a new site which should halt the issue for now.

One thing that has me worried/thinking, I have tried the MAQS over the weekend on another site that has the odd wasp, nothing major, but am abit concerned that by treating and opening up the entrances they are now at the mercy of any wasp attack. Oh well time will tell.

C B

Sorry to hear that... the wasps are proven to be a problem with a lot of us beekeepers this year. You had a reduced entrance in and they still managed. Did you have glass infront as heard it can deter?

One thing that has me worried/thinking, I have tried the MAQS over the weekend on another site that has the odd wasp, nothing major, but am abit concerned that by treating and opening up the entrances they are now at the mercy of any wasp attack. Oh well time will tell.

C B

If you have OMFs then you can keep the entrances reduced

i have treated 3 wasp nests all within 30 yards of my bees and still got a few around .. planning to look for more nests tomorrow... got 4 to treat tomorrow at houses ..so theres getting to be a few around

When people talk about putting a sheet of glass in front of the entrance, how large and at what distance? Leaning against the hive? I tried a sheet about 10" by 4" of acrylic about 4" in front of the entrance. Don't know what it did to the wasps but it caused chaos on the beeline; a bit like the effect "Occupy the M25" might have. They got over it but I also saw a wasp doing an end-run with no trouble so I'm guessing I do not have the dimensions right. Experts?

When people talk about putting a sheet of glass in front of the entrance, how large and at what distance? Leaning against the hive? I tried a sheet about 10" by 4" of acrylic about 4" in front of the entrance. Don't know what it did to the wasps but it caused chaos on the beeline; a bit like the effect "Occupy the M25" might have. They got over it but I also saw a wasp doing an end-run with no trouble so I'm guessing I do not have the dimensions right. Experts?

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=356637&postcount=7

Sorry about your bees, Veg.
Not seen many wasps near mine - just an Asian hornet today.

My happy little mating Nuc with new laying queen got wiped out between Thursday morning & Friday afternoon. Hardly seen a wasp till Friday.:(

Latest posts

Back