Loosing the plot now

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Well I'm lost and can't keep track. Checked hive which AS was taken. Don't ask when as now completely mixed up with who's who and what. Inspected yesterday saw the queen and assumed she hasn't started laying yet as was a virgin queen about 3 weeks ago. Loads of space. Today I sat watching with a cup of tea and the buggers swarmed. Huge swarm - off they've gone down the road into a huge oak tree. Set up a bait box so fingers crossed.
I give up grrrr!!!

Well I'm lost and can't keep track. Checked hive which AS was taken. Don't ask when as now completely mixed up with who's who and what. Inspected yesterday saw the queen and assumed she hasn't started laying yet as was a virgin queen about 3 weeks ago. Loads of space. Today I sat watching with a cup of tea and the buggers swarmed. Huge swarm - off they've gone down the road into a huge oak tree. Set up a bait box so fingers crossed.
I give up grrrr!!!

Is it possible that you missed a queen cell? I usually just leave 1 and tear down the rest. It doesn't make sense to leave any more as insurance as you are more likely to lose a swarm than go Queenless. If very unlucky to go Queenless that can be fixed from eggs from another hive.

If you are getting lost, I find it helpful to take the queen marking pen and write a number on each of the hives.

I then use that number when writing up my notes.

It's age... the short term memory is going.

Don't lose heart. It is difficult to keep track, but most of us are in the same boat this time of year. I find it easier to sit down in the apiary after inspections, and record everything there and then. I use the notes function on my phone. Then, when I get home I transfer the info to my beekeeper lite app. It is quite good when you get the hang of it.
If the swarm is uncollectable, forget about it and concentrate on your remainder. Lots of people, experienced and new have lost swarms.
Good luck.

I think you are finding that you need notes, the more hives you get the more important that becomes. You NEED to note what you see! But ......... Don't despair! I thought I left one queen cell but there must have been another somewhere cos my virgin went like yours! Luckily she is now in a box, mated and laying but it is so easily done and this year if you have bees that want to swarm you can bet your bottom dollar that given half a chance they will! Look on the bright side, you will now have a nice new queen who will be mated by July with time to build up just right for winter. Maybe even a tiny bit of autumn honey!
E

I print an A4 photo of the apiary and annotate around each hive and keep everything in a folder both in my desk and on my desktop :)

Yes I need to make notes again... last year I did.
Just this year, as I have said before, all I have been doing is combing and doing AS's and sure I'd make a mess of any notes.
To think I moaned last year having a swarmy hive...that was nothing!!

My hive notes are on A4 held in a clipboard and updated with a pen tied to it by string. Updated after each (numbered) hive is inspected.

Simple.

Duct tape strip on the roof of each hive. Write notes etc on it with a permanent pen. Can photograph each roof on mobile phone if want to have records/reminders at home after inspecting.

I don't mean to teach granny to suck eggs but... If putting numbers on hives put them on the roof as everything else gets swapped around in time!

I don't mean to teach granny to suck eggs but... If putting numbers on hives put them on the roof as everything else gets swapped around in time!

I have started writing the number on all the parts of the hive. Then I will know if I have been good in not swapping parts among the hives to minimise cross-contamination (or how lax I have been).

The P**ca paint pens (used for queen marking) seem to write on anything in a waterproof way.

Would not work for me but then you obviously never seen me inspecting my hives,first i undo all the straps (about 8 hives per apairy), all rooves offand put infront of hives, super covered by a crown board if i find a problem likeaQC then a spare crown board and a spare roof goes on and i return to the hive later,
all my Boxes are numbered and supers are chalked with that hive number (on the inset side so it does not wash off in the rain)

But rooves, well, they go on in any order, though i tend to keep the few gable one of the same hive as landmarks to stop drifting

Would not for me but then you obviously never seen me inspecting my hive,firsti undo all the straps (about 10 per apairy), all rooves off, supersoff covered by a crown board if i find a problem likeaQC then a spare crown board and a spare roof goes on and i return to the hive later,
all my Boxes are numbered and supers are chalked with that hive number (on the inset side so it does not wash off in the rain)number are recorded in hive records against queen(sothe record follows the queen)

But rooves, well, they go on in any order, though i tend to keep the few gable one of the same hive as landmarks to stop drifting

Last edited:
I print an A4 photo of the apiary and annotate around each hive and keep everything in a folder both in my desk and on my desktop :)

Not all of us have access to high definition satellite photo's or light aircraft, I like the idea though if you could lend me yours:thanks:

I use metal numbers on each hive, held on with pins, easy to change, not a good idea to number roofs only when moving screened hives a lot, you would not know which hive each roof belongs too.

Not all of us have access to high definition satellite photo's or light aircraft, I like the idea though if you could lend me yours:thanks:

:)
A photo on the phone.
I'm spatially inept and can think much better round problems looking at a drawing or photo.
It's no use me saying hives 1,2,3, etc......I get lost when they have to be split etc so a photo helps.

each queen has a number - hooks on each BB with the queens number hung on that (plastic restaurant table numbers with hole drilled - means I have a spare set as well)) number moves with queen.
Do you think all the commercial boys keep each super with the BB?

Apiary specific maybe - but each hive?

Yup, and I know one chap who records the weight of each super before and after extrtacting and putting back on its designated hive.
It takes all sorts:rolleyes:

Back