Looking after my bees...

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Duchy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
4 hives and 2-4 nucs
Today, I put some more Ambrosia on top of the frames, as there is another cold snap on the way. Also put a bit of carpet on top. Hopefully my one and only remaining hive, will make it through to spring!

have you ever thought of inserting kingspan in your hive roofs? insulation properties much improved over bits of carpet

A bit of carpet is better than nothing, but if you've got some polystyrene or kingspan it would be an even better insulator.

I've used an emergency blanket too, those thin silvery things that you get in the camping section of 99p shop.

Assuming you have a regular style Langstroth roof, if you turn it upside down there will be a recess in the roof. Measure the depth of the recess and you might find some insulating material at your local DIY store to match this depth. Only buy stuff that can easily be cut with a saw.

And ... only use if you have a solid crownboard, like a plywood one.

Hi Duchy,
It is the size of the colony, the health of the bees and whether they are Q+ which will determine if they make it through now that you have given them the fondant. Good luck. It won't be long now.

Thanks guys. I have a WBC, so am hoping the bees are warm enough, as they have an extra outer layer already. I will have a look at insulating the roof though.

Insulation under the roof itself plus carpet on the top bars and insulation on the sides and under the floor works well....

All the rest is just playing :)

Would it be worth putting sheets of polystyrene on the sides, back and front too?

Thanks guys. I have a WBC, so am hoping the bees are warm enough, as they have an extra outer layer already. I will have a look at insulating the roof though.

WBC?
Ideal for filling the void with hay or straw then. :smash::smash:

All should beware cutting off ventilation, remember polystyrene and foil are both waterproof and could result in causing condensation inside the hive!:ack2:

There is a lot of talk about insulating roofs.

My house is nice and warm and dry. This is because I have thick insulation on the ceiling, but a well-ventlated roof space above that to remove any condensation.

I follow the same practice with my hives. The roofs are not insulated- these need a good airflow- but I have 50mm of kingspan sitting snugly on the crownboard keeping the living space warm.

This is especially relevant for a WBC, where there is a space designed in between the crownboard and roof, and an airflow up to the roof from between the boxes and lifts.

My house is nice and warm and dry. This is because I have thick insulation on the ceiling, but a well-ventlated roof space above that to remove any condensation.

What would cause the condensation in the loft space if you have thick insulation on the ceiling?

I've go0t thick loft insulation but always keep a small bedroom window open for ventilation.....

Skyhook is spot on with his strategy. All my hives have open mesh floors so there is no other extra ventilation whatsoever. If I happen to over-winter on a solid floor I raise the brood box from the floor by about 3mm for extra ventilation. Cosy bees and no condensation. Remember, warm air rises.

What would cause the condensation in the loft space if you have thick insulation on the ceiling?

I've go0t thick loft insulation but always keep a small bedroom window open for ventilation.....

Answer a) the small amount of moisture that finds its way through the ceiling.

Answer b) (although there wasn't a question). That could be costing you a small fortune. The warm air will chimney through the house and out. Try no ventilation (there will still be some, unless you live in a space-ship). If some is needed, start with downstairs trickle vents and increase.

Beware, you're in danger of getting me onto global warming.

Zero ventilation is not a healthy option according to some boffin on the radio, he links it with ill health and a breeding ground for germs. Apparently with some rented properties (sure it was Germany) there is a stipulation regarding ventilation, something like a window open for at least 15 mins per day.

but always keep a small bedroom window open for ventilation..... (my underlining)

15 mins per day. (my underlining)

Subtle difference there, methinks. And before anyone asks, I have no idea how big the window might be in a small bedroom, but likely it is the same size as one in a large bedroom.

Latest posts

Back