Long Deep Hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Black small ants love to make their nest into polystyrene insulations.

Now that is interesting.....I haven't seen any but I have had earwigs around the edge of the crown boards of a few hives...haven't seen any in the hive though...but we are plagued by wasps ATM...I think there were a few less today when I was topping up the feeders. My wasp traps are working well.:D

Now that is interesting.....I haven't seen any but I have had earwigs around the edge of the crown boards of a few hives...haven't seen any in the hive though...but we are plagued by wasps ATM...I think there were a few less today when I was topping up the feeders. My wasp traps are working well.:D

Went across to the filling station and bought a card of four plastic wasp trap cones for 1£ Returned and used 4 empty pop bottles to insert the cones to make traps. Baited with some el-cheapo supermarket jam, a pint of water and a drop of washing up liquid. Hung them down by the barn. Within ten minutes one had two wasps drowning inside.

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014i can just image it too. It did occur to me that the expanding foam might rather over fill the roof and it might end up like a banana! Oh dear that story was so funny!

I had no idea the stuff was so, errm, unpredictable in the hands of the the unwary. A good job I rarely meddle with DIY! :rolleyes:

I don't think there is any chance of my DIY bringing about a disaster! My OH only has to see me with a drill or spanner and he blanches! He remembers the kitchen tiles too well! I kept asking him to do them...but he didn't...so off he went to work....I put the tiles on the wall...grouted them...ta da! I even used a piece of wood to span the cooker gap. Was it my fault that the wood was very slightly bent? So we had tiles on the wall...with a teensy wave in them....it was rustic and homemade.....was he grateful....nah!
Now .....if I ask ...he does the DIY.....I don't get a look in.
I think on balance a sheepswool pad for under the roof will be fine.
Looked in one Beehaus today and my new queen in there has laid 5 full 14x12 frames of brood....wall to wall. That is the equivalent of 7 1/2 national frames. Topped up the feeder as we are still not getting much of a flow.

:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::laughing-smiley-014:laughing-smiley-014i can just image it too. It did occur to me that the expanding foam might rather over fill the roof and it might end up like a banana! Oh dear that story was so funny!

Read the one above about the saniflow,, the chap answering reminds me of someone who gives really good advice on this forum.

:sorry: :rofl:

Back