Lonely Queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darryl

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a colony which has been ailing for some time. A late requeen resulted in a low bee count which has diminished over the last couple of months. No visible sign of disease and poor forging compared to a nearby hive. I am left with a virtually empty hive with a scattering of open and capped brood. The queen, however is happily wandering over the frames.
I assume the colony is doomed but I am loath to lose a healthy queen.
What should I do with her?

Can you be a bit more specific re numbers? I.e. frames of brood / bee's etc

Bee barely cover one frame but are scattered throughout the hive in small groups as is capped/uncapped brood.

I have a colony which has been ailing for some time. A late requeen resulted in a low bee count which has diminished over the last couple of months. No visible sign of disease and poor forging compared to a nearby hive. I am left with a virtually empty hive with a scattering of open and capped brood. The queen, however is happily wandering over the frames.
I assume the colony is doomed but I am loath to lose a healthy queen.
What should I do with her?
If you’re desperate to save her split a colony into two nucs and introduce her to one.

Too late. Just had a look in and - no queen despite almost taking the have apart. The few uncapped brood were unattended with the low bee count. Only workers spotted seem to be robbers from a neighbouring hive. I think you are correct jenkinsbrynmair, the queen has made little progress since she was introduced so I'll clear out the hive for next year ready for a swarm or split.
Thanks everyone for the advice.

Latest posts

Back