lonely queen

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

betterbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Had another failed hive on monday.No brood or eggs 2 frames of bees decided to shake bees in front of nuc to strengthen it.Shook out the bees then noticed her majesty on the mesh floar :calmdown:.Decided to give her a chance,shook some bees from another hive into an apidea sprayed the bees and threw in her majesty,Today 2 frames of eggs in the apidea and plenty of pollen going in.What are the chances of her surviving ,she was an excellent queen in 2012
bee-smillie .

i put a queen just like that in a nuc 2 weeks ago.. now 2 frames of eggs and brood.. so wele have 2 wait and see

What are the chances of her surviving ,she was an excellent queen in 2012

Don't see the problem. Had bees, now has few. Was not laying. Now laying. Was in a cavrn. Now in a cosy apartment

Give enough space and some bees and maybe a frame of emerging brood. Where is the problem?. You goofed once with her; put it right for her.

You have 10 hives. You have enough experiment to value, what is the condition of queen when you compare to others.
Nosema may spoil the queen and it stops laying.

Hi betterbee i to have learned more this last two years with the poor weather we and the bees have endured. I will make sure that i use dummy boards and internal insulation inside the hive at the end of the season to save them having to keep the cavrn warm (Thx Rab)I will also use the thymol feed. Then i hope i become a betterbee keeper cheers Andy

What are the chances of her surviving ,she was an excellent queen in 2012
bee-smillie .

Pretty good, I'd say. I've just brought a spare queen through that appalling winter in a poly mating nuc, with only 1000 workers for company since mid October. They're now sitting on 4 of the toytown frames of bias, with 2 more of food, and feeling happy.

Goodness knows how this year is going to pan out, but a spare queen can't be a bad thing as long as she's not run out of steam.

Cheers

with a little addition of bees queen now in full hive with 6 frames of bias ,was well worth the trouble to save her:winner1st:

with a little addition of bees queen now in full hive with 6 frames of bias ,was well worth the trouble to save her:winner1st:

:iagree: well worth it indeed! Now she gets a chance to repay your care.

i put a queen just like that in a nuc 2 weeks ago.. now 2 frames of eggs and brood.. so wele have 2 wait and see/////

this hive has now got a super on and bringing in nectar but another one that was the same has now started laying drone. last years queen so going 2 unite tonight more than likely

Latest posts

Back