London Office Hive - could this work?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BAZBAZ

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
For the last year I've been discussing beekeeping with my boss who used to keep bees 10-15years ago. I'm a total novice. I did have a garden at my own house, but have since moved to my girlfriend's flat in Whitechapel and she's not keen on having a hive on the balcony!

Being quite an outgoing guy, he's keen for us to have a hive at work. We work in Soho and have a small back yard 12ft by 12ft (maybe slightly bigger).

However, we also have an extended dogleg part of the office (this being a Victorian building) so the intention is to have a platform, professionally built, on its roof.

This will give us space for probably 2 hives and enough space to move around. We will only have one to start.

The questions are:

1) being in Central London will a colony be able to survive with the environment and get enough food?

2) would it be too dangerous to attempt this? there are offices and other houses around (but no windows on the back of ours) - though there will be no foot access aside from the steps to the platform.

We've recently put up bird feeders and are getting great tits and blue tits (and pigeons who cant reach) into the yard so there is obviously a niche of nature existing here!

Any thoughts most welcome.

Thanks,

Al :bigear:

They should be fine - there are plenty of parks and green spaces within a mile or so. I think the only issue is access to the roof, for example carrying supers of honey down and of course getting the hives up there in the first place.

Just make sure you keep your swarm kit in the office so you can run out and grab them if necessary!

I would make contact with the London Beekeepers Association to be doubly sure. http://www.lbka.org.uk/index.php

Your bees will do better than you think. Your problem will be swarming not easy collecting a swarm 3 floors up stuck to a office building on a busy London street and god forbid you get foul brood and the bee inspector says so where do you want to dig the hole?

I should've been clearer - the platform will be on the roof of the extension which will be about 12ft high from the yard floor.

Theres a fairly wide section between the back of our building and the one opposite and also to the otherside a gap which runs out over other "gardens" and towards a street.

The bees are going to be quite high to start with so its unlikely that they will bother anybody..... Theyre looking for flowers not windows.
They'll just be off out of the hive and then way up high over the rooftops.

You will also need some patio furniture.

My brother an I (newby beekeepers) have two hives on the roof of an old primary school in Liverpool (not far from the World Museum mentioned by Flatters). Its a community bldg and the roof is a wildflower garden which the users have access to. We've had no problems at all - in fact people are generally v interested, we've suited up a few who want a closer look.

Lots of trees and parkland within easy reach, we took a small crop in late summer (our first) - delicious!

I've also had a pot of honey from the World Museum hive, wonderfull dark resinous stuff (i guess from all the trees)- it got top marks in a taste test we did with our kids and their friends!

Good luck.

My colleaques in our London office will be starting with a hive on the 5 floor balcony of their office block in the City just off Leadenhall market. They have joined the LBKA and have got themselves a mentor to help them establish the operation. No obvious green from the windows there but in reality loads of forage in the streets and small squares around the city. You should be fine as long as the neighbours aren't too close and overlooking your apiary site.

Latest posts

Back